Latest Retro Purchases (Games or Hardware)

Started by zapiy, October 21, 2011, 08:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

TrekMD

Got these at Florida Supercon last weekend...

VictorLazarus

Quote from: TrekMD on July 31, 2017, 01:17:50 AM
I didn't realize the games were packaged so differently in Europe.  Why are the cases larger for the PS1 games?

(Sorry it took me so long to reply. The image wasn't working.)

I attached an image and did a bit of comparing.

To the left is a game in a standard CD style case, didn't have any US Dreamcast or PS1, so I used a light gun bundle copy of Virtua Cop 2. (Saturn games are mostly in cardboard longboxes over here, but I digress...)

Next to it is a PAL Dreamcast game. Charge N' Blast. Didn't realise the rest of the world used smaller cases for these until recently. These are very annoying, and the hinges break easily and cases are hard to come by to replace.

Then there are a few single disc PS1 cases. Like the Dreamcast jewel case, they are about twice the width of a CD case, so you get half as many on a shelf. No idea why, maybe for easy visual separation from the other territories, or safer shipping. Who knows.

First case is Crusader, slightly shorter with black plastic at the top and bottom. Next is Wild Arms, a little taller with clear plastic on the top and bottom, this is much more common. Finally Tekken is in a cardboard case. Which is very strange.

MVL.

TrekMD

That is so odd.  It's not as if they have more stuff in these, do they?  Maybe the manuals are bigger in various languages?

Shadowrunner

I have a couple PAL Dreamcast games and the manual in them would never fit into a NTSC case. Our manuals only have one or two languages in them but theirs have every language in Europe so the case needs to be much bigger.

TrekMD

OK, so it's what I thought.  Makes sense then. 

Vadergb

I got my Colecovision. What a system for early 80's arcade games. Absolutely loving it and it even looks decent in RF.
The Texas Instruments SN76489 soundchip meant many of the games sounded exactly the same as there arcade counterparts. Absolutely love Pepper 2/

Funny enough I knew the guy who sold it thru Ebay was on twitter so had a nice exchange with him. Loose Pal carts look pretty cheap so I will definitely look at adding Burger Time, Time Pilot, Bezerk and Mouse Trap quite quickly. Those pads though, I have played a few games on my 7800 pad which two buttons work fine.

Added a few bits from the Retro Videogame Market in Doncaster at the weekend.

Shadowrunner

Looks great! It really is too bad that the controllers are so bad though. I read about using a 7800 pad but I've never tried it. I bought an arcade stick that has a number pad built into it. Works great but it was pretty expensive, especially considering most games don't use it.

TrekMD

The console looks in pretty condition.  Congratulations!  The CV does some have quite a few arcade ports that are nicely done.

Vadergb

Quote from: Shadowrunner on August 17, 2017, 01:40:04 AM
Looks great! It really is too bad that the controllers are so bad though. I read about using a 7800 pad but I've never tried it. I bought an arcade stick that has a number pad built into it. Works great but it was pretty expensive, especially considering most games don't use it.

I've seen and want that stick. I could imagine they were pretty expensive and pretty much exclusive use to the Colecovision and 7800.

Shadowrunner

I got it through the Kickstarter where the price was $100, but that was a KS exclusive discount. It also works with the 2600, 7800, and Colecovision Flashback though, so for that price I don't think it was that bad a deal. Eventually they will be up on the Edladdin site for everybody to buy, but I think he said the price would be going up to at least $150. He makes a great product and it's all done by himself with quality components, but I just don't know if I could ever see myself paying that much for a controller.

TrekMD

I have seen the Eladdin controllers and they do look fantastic.  All I've heard about them is also very positive.  I don't believe I would pay that much for a controller, though. 

TrekMD

TrekMD