Previous topic - Next topic

HomerRamone2084

Quote from: davyk on February 11, 2019, 22:16:22 PM

Liking the look of that t-shirt.

Robotron is another stone-cold classic.
The best ! (I'm biased of course !)

davyk

Quote from: zapiy on February 12, 2019, 17:10:55 PM
Hows life with the Arcade mate, any regrets now?

Nope. I still love it. Asteroids is a real slow burner game for me. I just keep coming back to it.

I don't play as much as I did but it still gets played each week - usually around the weekend. It's nice to come in from work on a Friday night and play a few games and fill up the hi score table.  i also like playing the 2 player mode myself - for some reason I seem to get my best scores that way. 

I need to play more often if I want to get better - but for now I'm enjoying it just playing semi-casual. My top 3 scores are in the 50Ks now but I'm happy if I get a 40K score at the minute. :)

davyk

Another little update.

My favourite way to play this is on a Saturday afternoon. Wife and daughters are out and I put some 80s music on the hifi with the volume up loud.  This really seems to help. Having the 80s music on brings back the feelings of being in an arcade and I have found that my scores improve too!..    Still haven't topped my 50K+ high score yet though. Need more practice. :)

I've learned about a new board that plugs into the main board in the cabinet that adds original Asteroids and Lunar Lander.  For now I'm more than happy with the game but it's nice to know I can add a bit of variety in the future if I want to. I can remember playing Lunar Lander in the arcades way back and it's a nice game - not one I would buy in a dedicated cabinet (unless I won the lottery) but it's good to know that it can be added to the cabinet.

TrekMD

That is cool.  The Activions anthologies play 80's music if the background if you want, I'm guessing for that very same reason you like to play it  It takes you back in time.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

davyk

It's weird but it really does make a difference.  :)

TrekMD

zapiy

Quote from: davyk on August 21, 2019, 10:07:43 AM

Another little update.

My favourite way to play this is on a Saturday afternoon. Wife and daughters are out and I put some 80s music on the hifi with the volume up loud.  This really seems to help. Having the 80s music on brings back the feelings of being in an arcade and I have found that my scores improve too!..    Still haven't topped my 50K+ high score yet though. Need more practice. :)

I've learned about a new board that plugs into the main board in the cabinet that adds original Asteroids and Lunar Lander.  For now I'm more than happy with the game but it's nice to know I can add a bit of variety in the future if I want to. I can remember playing Lunar Lander in the arcades way back and it's a nice game - not one I would buy in a dedicated cabinet (unless I won the lottery) but it's good to know that it can be added to the cabinet.

Thats cool about the additional board mate, are they expensive?

I always prefer playing games when the family are out too, not sure what it is, maybe just feeling like you can be you helps that as well.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

davyk

About £150 for the board. No soldering required for installation.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

davyk

I think so too. It's a slightly better deal for someone with an original Asteroids cabinet as they are getting Deluxe and Lunar Lander added. You get high score saving too which original Asteroids doesn't have.

For a deluxe owner it just isn't quite the same deal having original Asteroids added - but you are getting Lunar Lander too of course -  it's still something I'd consider in the future.

davyk

Got 57K over the weekend.  My wife was nagging me for a lift otherwise i might have broke 60K.......

:)

More importantly, something feels as if it has clicked. I'm moving around a lot more  -vital not to be a sitting duck for ufos or homing missiles. Once you pass 30K if you hit a satellite while sitting still you are dead. You need to be moving away from them when they split into missiles.

Their speed past 40 and 50K is ridiculous - you simply have to start getting comfortable with the wraparound to stay away from them (even though they plot their paths using it too - AND ufos shoot wraparound shots).

TrekMD

Nice score!  Even if the wife didn't let you reach the 60K mark!  Something to strive for next time.  :)

davyk

Just for fun - created some footage of me playing badly. Unless I play this every other day my skills deplete - still it's a 30K score so you sort of see how it plays. I just plonked my phone on the plexiglass and I'm surprised how it  came out. If I was to zoom in a bit things would be better - though you wouldn't see the vector monitor below of course! Some people might like seeing that...
Anyhow - test footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3cMRDRK0mQ

TrekMD

zapiy

Great stuff mate, come out really well considering.