Importing a classic arcade to the UK

Started by davyk, July 03, 2018, 13:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davyk

Made an account of my adventures importing a classic Atari game from the US.

It's a happy ending so hopefully it will embolden someone to do this.

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/importing-a-classic-arcade-machine-into-the-uk/

Any comments and questions, just fire away!

zapiy

Hey pal, loved that story.

Where do I start, firstly I like your logical approach to your chosen cabinet!

You should join UKVaC if your not already a member, how has it been going since you got it, any major failures other than those mentioned and are you getting more confident with it?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

davyk

I joined jammaplus and met a few people there.

That site has wrapped up recently so I am at ukvac now.

I also posted at Atariage who have an arcade section on their forums.

I did have one other minor issue I forgot about. I was getting dummy readings off one of the rotate buttons. The control panel comes out easily - two nuts to loosen and the whole panel opens up towards you on a hinge. I could see that the contacts for the offending button were touching so I just bent them up a little bit. The control panel is built like a tank - the contacts are the size of your thumb - it's built to last!

Apart from that the game is working beautifully.  :)   I'm gaining confidence and starting to really enjoy it.

There's a mod for the Deluxe board that lets you play original Asteroids and Lunar Lander!  That might be something I'd think of in the future - but for now I'm delighted with it.

TrekMD

Very nice read and it was quite the adventure getting this all set up!  Congratulations!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Its a great machine, is the wife still happy lol?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

davyk

Sort of!!!

She does like the look of it though she doesn't like the game itself - too tough.

zapiy

So, fast forward, how are you getting on why this now mate?

davyk

Working well - it's a tough old game though - my 3 top scores are over 50K but I usually only score 30K or so - it gets really tough when you hit the 30,000 barrier.

I've had some sticky button problems but that's been easy to resolve. The control panel is held in place with 2 bolts and wingnuts - undo those and the whole panel tilts forward on a hinge letting you see the underneath of the panel connectors. The buttons and contacts are really big - really easy to work with and clean.

HomerRamone2084

I was never that good at either version of Asteroids. I recall seeming people in the arcade on the original version - leaving that one rock and waiting for the spaceships. This tactic never ended well for me :)

On a similar note I recall back in the day when the local arcades were awash with Defender machines all the local arcades had the name of the same game on them. BOF. All 8 all time high scores we BOF on all the machines with a score of 999975

Since the score clocked past this point getting that score was somewhat of a black art I believe - because its really tricky to die in Defender without scoring - a bullet killing you scores 25 pts.

I actually came across the guy once - playing a Stargate.

I digress.. having read that article I am now compelled to do 2 things.
1. Fire up my robotron machine over the weekend - which ive not done for some time. Hope the thing still works.
2. Remove the "real" boards and look into refurbishing them.

I bought the boards many years ago and got a Joust cabinet to put them in. The I sanded the sides down to remove Joust decals with the intention of putting Robotron ones on there. Perhaps I might revisit that option :)

Spacedeck

You must really love this game!  The cabs look amazing but if I got bored of wanting to play the same game after 6 months, it's just sitting there doing nothing.

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Maintenance via the control panel is nice and simple, whats better a lot of the railway ran using similar tech so I am clued up on this stuff by complete and utter chance lol.

davyk

Liking the look of that t-shirt.

Robotron is another stone-cold classic.

zapiy

Hows life with the Arcade mate, any regrets now?