Author Topic: Retro VGS: New Retro Game Console  (Read 17082 times)

Offline Gorf

• View Profile
Re: New Retro Game Console
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 15:02:14 PM »
Quote from: "Ben"
I guess I should have said "offering a counter-opinion to" rather than "picking up on".   :21:  I respect your view though, you definitely know more than I do, I was just throwing Gosu out there because I'm a big fan of it.

I have 35+ years of coding experience. Scripting languages are for wimps who are afraid to explore the lower
levels of a micro processor. Scripting languages tie the coders hands, make the coder a wimp through almost impossible hoops and stupid by laws and God forbid you dare touch the hardware directly. Yeah sure, these scripting piles of shit may LOOK like C/C++ but they are nothing of the sort. That is not to say they could not have alternate languages, but if you do not start from assembler, C/C++ you will wind up with good dev's like me
hating your console.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 16:59:08 PM »
Bit harsh calling them wimps though. But yeah the closer to a real code the better I guess in order to get the most people onboard.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline RPC_GAMES

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpcgames.com.au
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 21:26:01 PM »
Gorf is right. I've been programming for 35+years too in assembler and I'd rather dig at the hardware direct than running scripts. People program in different ways, some want to do really cool stuff and have the program or scripts written for them so they put this script + that script together and suddenly you've made a game with other peoples routines. Cool and easy but it's really not your game.

Writing the assembler code yourself is the best thing, they are your own routines and you know exactly what they are doing. So it's best to include an Assembler in the Devs kit for the RVGS.

Pete  :4:

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 21:38:55 PM »
Thanks to Mike aka [member=5080]ReadRetro[/member] i have a pic to share.. I have asked if the controller is the finished design and awaiting confirmation.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Online TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 21:42:24 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhhh! 
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 22:01:04 PM »
Reminds me of a snes controller molded onto and Wii U controller. :113: And i like.. obviously would like to fell it and so on.

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 22:23:32 PM »
I like it, but...  For me, six face buttons (i.e. the six button MD/Genesis controller or the Saturn controller) is a must for 2D gaming, so I hope this will be compatible with other controllers or they add two more buttons.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 22:33:03 PM »
There is shoulder buttons?

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2015, 22:45:59 PM »
Looks ok, as Zapiy said looks like a mini snes controller in the middle! Personally i wouldnt have any analogue sticks!
I take it these are pre cast moulds, so hopefully the final colour is black?
Design must be quite advanced if the controller is all but done? Looking forward to more news now.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 22:48:01 PM »
Quote from: "AmigaJay"
Looks ok, as Zapiy said looks like a mini snes controller in the middle! Personally i wouldnt have any analogue sticks!
I take it these are pre cast moulds, so hopefully the final colour is black?
Design must be quite advanced if the controller is all but done? Looking forward to more news now.

I assume the sticks allow for a wider range of devs getting onboard and games to be created??

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 22:50:03 PM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
There is shoulder buttons?
Those work okay, but ask anyone who is into 2D fighters if you want to take on someone playing with a Saturn style controller with a PSX or SNES style controller, and the answer will be an emphatic no.  We're a minority, but I figured I'd at least mention it.  Of course, an arcade stick peripheral, or being compatible with something like the X-Arcade is also a good option.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2015, 22:52:48 PM »
No mate, its a valid point and one worth getting across to the guys. I can't say the will change things but you have an opinion and its a valid one.. I guess it comes down to various design considerations..

Online TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2015, 22:53:58 PM »
Having the option of an arcade-style controller is not a bad idea.  Just an added peripheral to the console and that should handle the issues of the buttons. 
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline RPC_GAMES

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpcgames.com.au
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2015, 23:13:32 PM »
Thanks Zapiy for the photos. So it's going to look like an Atari Jaguar with a PS1 controller.
If your going to create a brand new product why not create a brand new casing and controller as well.
Remember when the Atari ST was born and then came the Atari Falcon in the same casing as the Atari ST.
Man that was the biggest let down for me. People are going to see the Retro Game Console and think it's a
Atari Jaguar with a different name badge and if it doesn't perform like the Jag then people are going to be very disappointed.
But don't get me wrong it's a great idea and I can't wait to see it in action. I may even dev for the machine.

Pete  :4:

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 23:21:09 PM »
Because they purchased all the tooling of the Jaguar fella. That will save thousands to bring this to the market.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk