New Dreamcast Game SLaVE!

Started by Shadowrunner, September 11, 2014, 05:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Saturn"Guess I missed out on ordering but, WOW! That game looks incredible.
Would dust off the ol' DC if I could get my mits on this! Sounds like these are all business. Nice :)

I'm really looking forward to it!

Saturn

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "Saturn"Guess I missed out on ordering but, WOW! That game looks incredible.
Would dust off the ol' DC if I could get my mits on this! Sounds like these are all business. Nice :)

I'm really looking forward to it!
Awesome thanks Shadowrunner!

Edit:
Just ordered 8)

TrekMD

Yep, I'm looking forward to this!  I'm sure it'll be a cool game.  Good that you were able to order it, Saturn!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Saturn

Just got this from the GOAT Store:
QuoteThank you for your pre-order of SLaVE and supporting the Sega Dreamcast!

Production of SLaVE is expected to be completed in April 2015; once ready, we will ship the game(s) at that time. If there are any changes to this, we will let you know.

Thanks again for your support, it is because of people like you that great
projects like this for the Sega Dreamcast can be created!
Just got this from the GOAT Store. 8)
Anyone know if they completed them in April?

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Saturn"Just got this from the GOAT Store:
QuoteThank you for your pre-order of SLaVE and supporting the Sega Dreamcast!

Production of SLaVE is expected to be completed in April 2015; once ready, we will ship the game(s) at that time. If there are any changes to this, we will let you know.

Thanks again for your support, it is because of people like you that great
projects like this for the Sega Dreamcast can be created!
Just got this from the GOAT Store. :)

Saturn

Ok, that 'splains a lot. Thanks Shadowrunner!

TrekMD

Check out Post #12.  That's their latest update on the project.  :)

Saturn

Quote from: "TrekMD"Check out Post #12.  That's their latest update on the project.  :) I'd skimmed over the post but the GOAT Store auto email threw me off. I appreciate the clarification :)

Saturn

Still looking forward to this. Haven't heard a peep so no idea how it's going, but hopefully getting closer 8)

TrekMD

I haven't heard anything else since that last update.  Hopefully things are moving along.

Saturn

Got this in an email earlier:

[[GOAT Store News]] Jay Townsend's SLaVE Update 11/8/2015‏

Hello:

Thanks for sticking with us for the last few months. It has been rather quiet publicly, as we have been working through some bug issues with the engine lately and there isn't a ton to report. The bad news is that we still have one major bug that is causing the Dreamcast to crash as the game is loading. The good news is that we have isolated the issue in the code and are working on a fix for it now.

Once this is done, the rest of the game should fall into place quickly.

We do not want to give an exact date or even an estimate at this time about a production schedule as bugs that seem easy may end up being more difficult to locate and squash than expected, but rest assured we are working hard to ensure that we bring this game to your hands as quickly as possible!

We hope to have another update for you very soon!

Sounds like that bug is pretty bad and/or elusive. Hoping they can patch it up soon. 8)

TrekMD

Got that too.  I hope they get that bug squashed!

TrekMD

An updated was sent out today:

Gamer:

Quick update on your pre-order of Jay Townsend's SLaVE - a couple of the pesky bugs have been put to rest. We are now in process of finding and eliminating any others. We expect the process to go quite quickly at this point, although we do not yet have a final delivery time frame for the game, as we do not want to declare a date until the game is in official production.  We hope to be able to provide this date soon!

We thank your for your patience throughout this delay, and we can't wait to get Jay Townsend's SLaVE to you!

--
Gary Heil & Dan Loosen
GOAT Store Publishing

Saturn

Just got this email. Woohoo! Getting closer :113:

[[GOAT Store News]] Major Update for Jay Townsend's SLaVE

Hey everyone,

We have a major update for Jay Townsend's SLaVE today, followed by a more in depth history of what happened. But first, the major update...

Jay Townsend's SLaVE is officially up and running on Dreamcast hardware without giving any errors!

This is a huge milestone, as we are now moving into final bug testing and production. Please do not misunderstand this announcement to be that the game has officially gone "gold" and is being actively produced, although we expect that these next steps will happen quickly, barring any other discovered problems.

If you want to hear more of what has happened and the benefit this gives to the game, read on!

When we announced Jay Townsend's SLaVE, we were under the belief that the game was at the same point as it is now as it was running properly in emulation. In our rush to announce the game on 9/9, we ran out of time to do physical tests. Unfortunately, emulated hardware and regular hardware are a little bit different, and it was discovered that the game had a memory overflow problem which crashed it at the menu. Obviously, unacceptable.

Originally, we figured that a few small fixes to the game engine would be enough to solve the overflow issue, and we would still move into production quickly. It was discovered that the bugs were more difficult than we expected. At the same time, the lead programmer left the project for personal reasons.

We immediately brought in a new programmer who started to dive into the code, and due to how it was written he found it very difficult to fix the problem. After attempting different things with the code for a couple months, it was determined to rewrite the engine, thus the longer delay.

The good news is that the rewrite of the engine allowed us to go back through and make a number of upgrades to it - the game displays more frames per second making the experience smoother. We were able to eliminate some sprites and make them into 3D models. The new engine is a considerable step up that improves what we already felt was great gameplay by adding another coat of polish to it. I can say without any hesitation that you will be getting a better game due to this delay, which is a nice bonus.

I expect to be putting the coin for the LLE version of the game into production later this week, and we will move toward full production as quickly as possible. Due to the uncertainty of the final bug test, we still are going to wait to make an announcement about when we expect to put the game into production. Please do not make any projections about the final shipping date for the game until we have updated you.

I cannot wait to get this amazing game into your hands, and we remain committed to developing outstanding products for the Dreamcast and other systems like it!

--

Dan Loosen

Saturn

I wonder if they'd sell an original bugged copy. Sure would like to have that version too