20 Years of Playstation

Started by Shadowrunner, November 13, 2014, 19:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Next month will be the 20th anniversary of the original Playstation launch in Japan, and Sony made this video to celebrate. Hard to believe it's been 20 years!

「プレイステーション」発売20周年特別映像『みんなのゲーム愛にありがとう。』篇

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

nosweargamer

Wow, 20 years old already!  It almost makes me feel old!

WiggyDiggyPoo

Its a good video but I wish they'd used PSOne only footage!

zapiy

Thats coming soon.. :113: :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

20 year since the Playstation! Holy moly, i remember the first picture of it in Edge like it were yesterday!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

JoeMusashi

Crikey! I remember it being truly next gen. I still perceive it as that in my mind. Time flies...

Greyfox

For Me PS1 was revolutionary beyond words, to this day or than the PS2 nothing has been as truly exciting from the 16-bit 2D era to the wonderful world of 3D console gaming that in my opinion the PlayStation did back in 1995, that was incredible to see games for the first time at home looked and possibly played better than the arcade games did.

I remember to this day inserting my copy of Ridge Racer for the first time and thinking to myself, this is the best thing I've ever experienced in my life at the time. Never to be seen again such excitement in the history of gaming.

AmigaJay

Quote from: "Greyfox"For Me PS1 was revolutionary beyond words, to this day or than the PS2 nothing has been as truly exciting from the 16-bit 2D era to the wonderful world of 3D console gaming that in my opinion the PlayStation did back in 1995, that was incredible to see games for the first time at home looked and possibly played better than the arcade games did.

I remember to this day inserting my copy of Ridge Racer for the first time and thinking to myself, this is the best thing I've ever experienced in my life at the time. Never to be seen again such excitement in the history of gaming.
It was a massive step, not just in terms of graphics and music, but the biggest change was the way people thought about games, i.e not just a kiddie 'thing' anymore, it was acceptable to be playing games in your 20's and beyond.

Not sure i agree with the arcade statement, yes they were good, but compare Playstation Ridge Racer to the arcade one, it still pales in comparison, but obviously games like Tekken that were made using Playstation arcade boards looked identical. But yes they did bridge the massive gap that was there previously though.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Yeah, looking back at when the PS1 was released i have to agree that it really was a game changer. I think it was mainly down to the infinte budget they appeared to have to sell it and advertise it, because of that, it became the first Wii, everyone wanted one.

sloan

In some ways, I almost wish Playstation had never gained wide acceptance in the west. Sony really brought on the dominance of the megacorporations in video gaming, and I am not sure it has been for the better.

PSX was earth-shattering for me when it hit, PS2 was good, but nothing since impresses. Too many FPS clones for my taste.

Ben

Quote from: "AmigaJay"
Quote from: "Greyfox"For Me PS1 was revolutionary beyond words, to this day or than the PS2 nothing has been as truly exciting from the 16-bit 2D era to the wonderful world of 3D console gaming that in my opinion the PlayStation did back in 1995, that was incredible to see games for the first time at home looked and possibly played better than the arcade games did.

It was a massive step, not just in terms of graphics and music, but the biggest change was the way people thought about games, i.e not just a kiddie 'thing' anymore, it was acceptable to be playing games in your 20's and beyond.

Not sure i agree with the arcade statement, yes they were good, but compare Playstation Ridge Racer to the arcade one, it still pales in comparison, but obviously games like Tekken that were made using Playstation arcade boards looked identical. But yes they did bridge the massive gap that was there previously though.
I agree with this absolutely, the marketing was key in making gaming acceptable for adults.  I was 17 when it launched, and while I was buying a Saturn anyway, I remember those ads made me take notice.  In particular, these Crash Bandicoot ones (not sure if they aired in the UK): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYrYSWxDf7o

This ad campaign also stands out to me: Final Fantasy VII TV Commercial Final Fantasy VII Commercial 2

Shadowrunner

Sony has announced another way they are celebrating 20 years, by releasing this awesome PS1 inspired PS4!

This Saturday coming up Sony is having an event called the PlayStation Experience, and during this they will announce how you can buy one of these. They will go up for pre-sale that same day for a cost of $499/499€, but there will only be 12,300 available world wide so these are going to go fast!

I think I'm going to try and get one :63:

Here's a link that explains a little more http://www.joystiq.com/2014/12/03/20th-anniversary-edition-ps4-pays-homage-to-original-playstation/

zapiy

WiggyDiggyPoo

Can't say the advertising for PS ever got me, until this point in time I'd been an Amiga boy (still am) but I wanted GTA and PS1 was the cheapest way to get it.

Games like G-Police, Die Hard Trilogy (very underated), Porsche Challenge and Bushido Blade were awesome to play at the time.

Gaming may be perceived to have dumbed down or gone mainstream but that's not Sony's fault, consumers buy what consumers want and now they want games that throw birds at things, generic shooter #12 and shiny space car warrior death.

PS1 is a hardcore kickass games machine that broke Nintendo's jaw and kicked Sega in the nuts so hard they could chew their own pewbs.

No PS1 was exactly why gaming needed at the time, maybe we need another PS1 who knows.

My name is WiggyDiggyPoo, and I'm a PS1 fanboy.

Bitch.

(-;