Intellivision Amico

Started by TrekMD, October 24, 2018, 03:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

This is already posted on the main page but I thought I'd add a thread so we can talk about it...

Intellivision Amico is announced almost 40 years after the release of the original Intellivision® home video game system which helped to redefine the video game industry, Intellivision® Entertainment is proud to carry on its “Legacy of Firsts” by announcing the brand new revolutionary family home video game console named Amicoâ,,¢ to be released on October 10th, 2020 (1010 2020). Amico is the Italian word for “friend” or “buddy” and encapsulates an element of the approach and dynamics for what makes the new console so unique and an exciting addition to everyone’s family.

I was there when this was announced this weekend and I really liked it.  Tommy has really planned this out well and has a good idea of what they want to do with this machine.  They also have hired some top people to help for marketing (the two people from Nintendo who helped market the Wii), a hardware engineer from Nintendo, etc.  So, at least this has what sounds like a more solid plan than what Atari has said about their VCS.

The system will come in more colors (woodgrain among them), will have an external adapter so you can play original Intellivision carts, and will have games from not only Intellivision but also Atari and Imagic available.  It will be interesting to see how things develop between now and October 2020!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Looks nice and I still like the idea of this, but I have to question why they announced it so early. Two years is a long time away. It's nice that they are taking the time to get it right but who knows what the video game industry will be like by then. The retro game fad may be over.

TrekMD

Yes, I was hoping it would be next year but I guess they want to take more time developing the hardware.  They are designing their own processor and hardware for this so maybe that is the reason it takes so long for this to be released.

zapiy

Yeah I meant to add it here, got side tracked. This seems a nice idea at a good price, that could be why this is a success.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I'm excited for them with this.  As you'd expect, though, there is plenty of negativity on the internet about it. I think this has a better chance to succeed than the Atari VCS.

zapiy

Negativity is the internets biggest downfall, I can understand people's opinions but they should just not worry about it if they don't like it lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Well, that's what people don't understand.  If you don't like it, you don't really have to start attacking it and keep at it.

TrekMD

Here's an interesting article about the Amico.  You can learn about the team Tommy has assembled to help develop and launch the console:  Nintendo Wii Caught Lightning In A Bottle, Can Intellivision Amico Do The Same?

onthinice

Wow! Looks like a great product.

TrekMD

It definitely has the potential to be a very nice system. 

zapiy

It will all boil down to the pricing I think..

TrekMD

They have said they will keep it in the $100's, which should make it easier for people to get.

HomerRamone2084

This appears to tick a lot of boxes.. except the crucial one.. 2 years before its out (and this presupposes its not delayed - id love to think that this is why its 2 years away but my glass is generally 1/2 empty not 1/2 full :) )

TrekMD

They have assembled a good team, including people who helped Nintendo be successful, so give them a chance.

TrekMD

Tommy shared this image of the controller...