Suggested games for starter collector for NES

Started by Retro_Raiden, June 09, 2016, 01:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retro_Raiden

Hey guys n girls
I'm going to start collecting for the NES in the next month or 2, maybe 3 months if things don't work out too well and was wondering if there are any games you recommend that are easy to get a hold of and aint stupidly priced. I already know about some of the common titles such as Super Mario, Marble Madness, Duck Hunt etc. but I don't really know many after that so was wondering if there are any you guys recommend!

I'm in the UK obviously so bare that in mind please when thinking about price and I refuse to pay retarded eBay prices on games as well so please keep that in mind as well <--- cheap. Thanks guys :)
Retro_Raiden

TrekMD

The Tengen titles are pretty good and I can easily recommend them.  If you like Gauntlet, skip to Gauntlet II because the first Gauntlet in the NES is nothing like the arcade game.  Gauntlet II is a dramatic improvement.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Retro_Raiden

Someone recommended the Star Wars games to me even though the price can vary with them along with Spy vs Spy, Germlins, Shadow Warriors, Dragons Lair and Battletoads. I've heard of Spy vs Spy and Gremlins but not the others. Would you say any of these games are good / worth getting?

Shadowrunner

Shadow Warriors is pretty good. Dragons Lair is nothing like the arcade game and is really difficult and Battletoads is also very difficult. You will need a lot of patience if you plan to play either of them!

Star Tropics is one of my favourite NES games, along with Metroid, Kid Icarus, and all the Super Mario games.

Retro_Raiden

Awesome. I'll add them to the list.

Yeah I've been told that Battletoads is hard to play. Be a nice challenge lol.

wyldephang

Bear in mind that I haven't scouted U.K. prices and don't know how they differ from U.S. averages. A game that sells for pennies here might command a high price in PAL territories. Also, my apologies in advance if any of these titles weren't localized in your region.

To start with, Star Wars wouldn't be my first recommendation. Aside of the high learning curve, the mechanics aren't very well developed in either of the JVC games. The Japanese Famicom version doesn't fare any better. If you're a die-hard Star Wars fan, you could do worse, but I wouldn't start my collection with it. Dragon's Lair is clunky and extremely frustrating to play. I don't like that one at all.

What you should start with what, in my opinion, are the games we all know and love from the NES library and then branch out from there. My personal top ten consists of Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2, The Legend of Zelda, Castlevania III, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Contra, Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario Bros., Metroid, and Final Fantasy. You'll also want to pick up Zelda II: Adventure of Link and Super Mario Bros. 2, as I think both games are great. If you lean toward one genre in particular, then here are some of my personal favorites across a few different genres:

Action-platforming:
The Mega Man series
Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden II
Bionic Commando
Castlevania
Contra (Probotector/Gryzor)

RPG:
Crystalis
The Dragon Quest series

Beat 'em up:
Double Dragon II
Battletoads
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
TMNT III: Manhattan Project
River City Ransom

Shooter:
Gradius
Life Force/Salamander
1942/1943
Legendary Wings

Sports:
Tecmo World Wrestling
Super Dodge Ball
Blades of Steel
Nintendo World Cup

Puzzle:
Yoshi's Cookie
Tetris
Dr. Mario

Have fun!
- Ryan

Retro_Raiden

Thanks for the suggestions dude. Will check them out :)

Saturn

The only two I can think of atm are Legendary Wings and Bionic Commando. Played these til my fingers bled back in the day.
Ninja Gaiden is tough as well. Caused me plenty of stress back then.
Good luck with your collection 8)

VictorLazarus

Darn I was going to suggest 'The Guardian Legend', cross between space shooter, and platformer. (Very cheap US, but quite high price for us in PAL A format)

Blaster Master is a solid game, that I think is quite cheap.

Might sound dirty, but consider the NES Classic Edition, I know its not the true hardware, but there's 30 games on there. (& at 60hz, which is a big deal for us)

MVL.

Vadergb

Quote from: VictorLazarus on October 24, 2016, 19:57:47 PM
Darn I was going to suggest 'The Guardian Legend', cross between space shooter, and platformer. (Very cheap US, but quite high price for us in PAL A format)

Blaster Master is a solid game, that I think is quite cheap.

Might sound dirty, but consider the NES Classic Edition, I know its not the true hardware, but there's 30 games on there. (& at 60hz, which is a big deal for us)

MVL.

There are certainly worse ways of getting to play NES game, The NES Mini will allow save points that will get you to parts of the games you may never see, I certainly completed Super Mario Brothers for the first time using save points. UK prices for NES games are always on the up, the Mini NES has hundreds of pounds worth of original titles plus some US titles that never got to the UK plus its got a whole new emulator dedicated to the system.

The other option is proper NES and an NES everdrive. The Everdrive will allow you to play titles before you buy.