Mega Drive Putty Squad Leaks

Started by TrekMD, October 08, 2015, 01:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

[align=center:b4xwkxsy][/align:b4xwkxsy]

To the surprise of many, the owner of the Mega Drive prototype of the game Putty Squad, a 1994 video game developed by System 3, has decided to release the ROM of the game freely on the internet.  This original prototype sold for nearly AU $1400 in 2013. 

The ROM was first posted at the Sega-16 forums by member Mad Moham.  According to Moham, he game is quite long, and seems complete, other than the sound effects, and some kind of an ending screen. Also an easy level skip code remains, probably for review purposes, this can be accessed as follows:

Hold down A+B+C, then press START twice, then release ABC.

The code will take you to the next level, but won't give you a code, sadly.

The ROM has been tested with Fusion and on real hardware using a flash cartridge, the only bad news is that the proto board seems to now be dead, hopefully it can be repaired. There also seems to be some graphical glitching in a couple of the later levels, but the game remains playable.

Upon finishing a level, the player is presented with a level select code. The codes work, but the code only flashes on screen very briefly so be careful.

Level codes seem to be the same as the Amiga version, so are as follows:

01 - DIOBMIG - Tomb of King Phut
02 - YTREWQ - Halls of Silence
03 - USTIJNIN - Bazaar Al Kebab
04 - ELBARM - The Wailing Tower
05 - MEHYAM - Palace of Baghdad
06 - SSENDAM - Kebabs 'R' Us
07 - LLEB - Downtown Klud
08 - TONKFEER - Fortress of Klud
09 - CIBARA - Upper Klud
10 - DRATSUC - Lower Klud
11 - OMZIG - Jungles of Squirt
12 - FLOWEREW - Watchtower of Squirt
13 - PUREWOP - Dr Sushi's Lab of Terror
14 - EVALS - Dr Sushi's Scarier Lab
15 - REDNIRG - Dr Sushi's Dinner of Fear
16 - CINATIT - Dr Sushi's Snack of Death
17 - DAEHOMUS - The House of Fun
18 - YSSIRHC - Fun Land
19 - SMARB - Ghost Train
20 - LEGNA - Major Smith's Escape Tunnel
21 - RETNUH - Gateway to the North
22 - DORTOH - Night Flight
23 - EGAGNE - The Tower of London
24 - YTSEB - Jumble Street
25 - LLIBSAG - Napalm's Pad
26 - NACILEP - Old Moon Street
27 - DEKCERW - Napalm's Kitchen
28 - EZIGRENE - Cloud Castle
29 - REFFUP - Wizard's Frozen Garden
30 - DENAK - Castle Of Scatterflash
31 - ECALAP - The Fortifications
32 - IRARREF - The Way to the Depths
33 - REHSINUP - The Depths of Despair
34 - YEDIPS - The Sunken Brewery
35 - ESREVINU - Chambers of Scatterflash

[align=center:b4xwkxsy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q-N-tjWbXS8[/align:b4xwkxsy]

Source: Sega 16

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Great news, and very nice of the owner to release it!

Saturn

Great info and the game looks like fun. Will give it a spin in Fusion sometime :)

TrekMD

I actually have an unreleased proto of Asteroid/Super Missile Command for the Lynx that I'd love to have someone make repros of and sell.  I wonder if there'd be interest in it.

Saturn

TrekMD

I have to see if anyone would be interested in manufacturing carts. I should probably reach out to the guys from Super Fighter Team.

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Saturn"Great info and the game looks like fun. Will give it a spin in Fusion sometime :)

Cool! I didn't know that, very nice of you :)

Quote from: "TrekMD"I actually have an unreleased proto of Asteroid/Super Missile Command for the Lynx that I'd love to have someone make repros of and sell.  I wonder if there'd be interest in it.

I'd be interested too!

zapiy

Awesome..

You and I should get them made mate and sell them to get the cash we invest back. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I need to find out how to get it dumped from the cart to then have carts made.