Sony PlayStation One Discussion Thread

Started by TrekMD, March 19, 2014, 03:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Quote from: "Bobinator"
Quote from: "onthinice"I avoided the Playstation when it was new. The price was just to high. Now, wish I had bought one then. Because, I have found it to be a great system with lots of unique titles.

I just checked eBay UK for you. They're so cheap right now you can buy four of them for less than 30 pounds, including shipping. Or, you can get the slim console, four games, the cables, and one controller for less then £20. I say go for it, personally, that,s a great deal!

Unless you already have one, which I should I have assumed was possible, and I should shut up. Oh well, I went through the trouble of posting that link, might as well see if somebody gets use out of it.

That would be great if he didn't live in the same country as you  :21:

TrekMD

OK, figured I'd add two new videos from Metal Jesus looking at Hidden Gems for the PSOne...

[align=center:1jvud4x9]PS1 Collecting - Hidden Gems

PS1 Collecting: More Hidden Gems[/align:1jvud4x9]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

WiggyDiggyPoo

Both of those videos have some corkers and I'm proud to say I've played some of them.

The space shooters interest me most, Colony Wars by Psygnosis, Omega Boost by Polyphony and Einhander by Square are three I think I want.

One I can recommend is G Darius, bought randomly when I traded Sensible Soccer for it (deal of the century!) its a top game.

guest5130

I can certainly recommend Einhander. Cost me around £10 to import from Japan via ebay so not too expensive either. You can probably but it a few quid cheaper if you don't mind a copy in rougher condition.

Ghost in the Shell is another great game but expensive and uncommon on PAL. The Japanese import is a lot cheaper and has full English screentext (as well as a cooler cover) so there's no excuse not to save cash if you have a chipped console  :1:

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "Megamixer"I can certainly recommend Einhander. Cost me around £10 to import from Japan via ebay so not too expensive either. You can probably but it a few quid cheaper if you don't mind a copy in rougher condition.

Ghost in the Shell is another great game but expensive and uncommon on PAL. The Japanese import is a lot cheaper and has full English screentext (as well as a cooler cover) so there's no excuse not to save cash if you have a chipped console  :(

guest5130

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"
Quote from: "Megamixer"I can certainly recommend Einhander. Cost me around £10 to import from Japan via ebay so not too expensive either. You can probably but it a few quid cheaper if you don't mind a copy in rougher condition.

Ghost in the Shell is another great game but expensive and uncommon on PAL. The Japanese import is a lot cheaper and has full English screentext (as well as a cooler cover) so there's no excuse not to save cash if you have a chipped console  :(

Add Tombi and Kula World to that and it's exactly the same for me. You'd be looking at the best part of £150 to pick up all three now. Makes me wonder why I wasted money on full-priced games that are common-as-muck these days  :(

Antiriad2097

Einhander I just play a ripped copy. They didn't release it here, so they obviously don't want me to buy it, so I feel no guilt. Great game.

I must track down the later Colony Wars games. The first got some serious playtime, so I'm not sure why I never returned to that series.

WiggyDiggyPoo

Oh I had some stuff that's not 'common as muck' . G Police for instance is not often talked about but was fantastic, racing wise Porsche Challenge is oft forgotten but is fantastic.

Sentinel Returns is another I only had the demo of but its a true classic.

That isn't to say the common stuff isn't worth getting - Die Hard Trilogy was fantastic value and looking back incredibly violent e.f. the driving section was as bad e.g. anything GTA or Carmageddon had to offer.

FF7, Tekken, Gran Turismo, FIFA (world cup '98 was excellent).

There's other stuff like the dual shock that I'd consider innovative as well.

It's a cracking system all in allO0

guest5158

Game development stopped just months before the release of the PS3!!!

Mind has now been officially blown!

Alberto 2K

Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"Sentinel Returns is another I only had the demo of but its a true classic.
I've been thinking about purchasing this title some days ago, the thing is I will only play it on the PS3 and doing it in a LCD TV would be a crime...

I bought a couple of years ago Heart of Darkness, G-Police, Destruction Derby, Oddworld 1 & 2 and I was very disappointed... great games though!
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

Ben

Just thought I would mention, on that front, the best way to play PSX games now is via the PCSX-R emulator and it's Peops plugin, if you have a decent video card that can output hdmi or component to your LCD tv.  A lot of purists believe you have to play on real hardware, but you're basically just beefing up the graphics capability of the original hardware; they're the same polygons that are being rendered.  It will work fine with an XBOX 360 controller, I usually use the regular one for Dual Shock games and a fight pad (that is made like a Saturn controller) for 2d ones.  It will make most 3d PSX games look like early PS2 games, it really is fantastic.

Also, just recommending a few games I haven't seen mentioned here (a few of which were not released in the UK):  Xenogears was probably my favorite RPG for the system (JP/US only), there is a very underrated SRPG called Kartia (or Legend of Kartia in the UK) with artwork by Amano (of FF1 through FFVI fame).  Altus had another great SRPG called Brigandine, as well.  I would also highly recommend the Klonoa games, they are very underrated 2.5d platformers, if you're into those.

WiggyDiggyPoo

Quote from: "Alberto 2K"
Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"Sentinel Returns is another I only had the demo of but its a true classic.
I've been thinking about purchasing this title some days ago, the thing is I will only play it on the PS3 and doing it in a LCD TV would be a crime...

I bought a couple of years ago Heart of Darkness, G-Police, Destruction Derby, Oddworld 1 & 2 and I was very disappointed... great games though!

Destruction Derby and its sequal are fantastic, the second in particular although fair to good reviews is very underated. They were made by Reflections who also did the sublime Driver.

TL

TrekMD

Very nice review from LOC!  The game does look pretty good.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL