Nintendo GameCube

Started by TrekMD, March 27, 2015, 18:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I did end up getting a GameCube (well, I didn't buy it, it was given to me as a gift) and I got the GameBoy Player and it has been great to use.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

I have this too, sadly its all boxed up at the moment, maybe I need to set it up again.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

DeadVoivod

I still have a GC with a Qoob modchip, but hasn’t been set up since a while. I love the 2 Baten Kaitos RPGs which are exclusive GC games, great stuff.

TrekMD

This thread hasn't seen any activity in a while.  So, here is a video from Top Hat Gaming Man talking about why the system was not the success Nintendo wanted it to be...

davyk

I think saying the Gamecube is a failure is a bit strong. It made money at the end of the day. It remains one of my favourite consoles.

TrekMD

I have one that I got a few years go and I like the system.  Maybe it didn't do was well as Nintendo itended, which would make it a relative failure.  But it seems to have sold plenty!

davyk

Gamecube imports. I have a small number of these.

I'll kick off with the reason I bought a JP console. Mr Driller Drill Land. This won't work with the memory card when using a Freeloader so you need a JP console. It is almost worth it on its own.

Click here for a good overview of it.

https://alchetron.com/Mr.-Driller:-Drill-Land

TrekMD

That is cool.  The Japanese console is not US compatible, is it?

davyk

Don't think so - but I could be wrong. I think the BIOS is different on JP GCs. You see evidence of that when playing a JPN game with a Freeloader - some dialogue boxes are just garbage instead of Japanese text.

TrekMD

zapiy

Amazing looking game, how much do Jap GC's go for these days?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

davyk

JP GCs aren't that expensive. Mind though - JP GCs don't do RGB - s-video only :(

davyk

Picture of my modest JP collection - why?

Well - Mr Driller Drill Land is to get a relaunch on Switch. I can't recommend this game enough. It's an excellent sequel that really improves on the original game - 4 new modes that really stretch the concept and the charm and presentation values are off the scale. :)

Sanddancer

This is my current gamecube collection, prices these days have went crazy for gamecube games, I was lucky enough to get these for pennies years ago from second hand shops and carboot sales. My favourite has to be fzero gx great game and amazing speed.

davyk

With you on F-Zero GX. It's an astounding game. Super Monkey Ball would be another favourite of mine and it's still best on Gamecube with its controller.