The NES Thread

Started by zapiy, January 20, 2012, 01:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I've always had issues with a number of the arcade conversions on the NES because the games are not really a port of the arcade game but a NES-only version of the game.  Not what I would have had expected.  This did change with time but it was true of the early ports.  Here is a video from John Hancock looking at the better arcade ports for the NES.  Enjoy...

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

davyk

Played THE HELL out of Bubble Bobble and Contra on NES.  Surprised he omitted Gradius as that is a solid port too - played that a lot.

Balloon Fight was Nintendo's take on Joust and I believe it's the better game - esp. for home play. Played a lot of that too.

TrekMD

He'll likely be doing a second video given that this was Part 1. Maybe Gradius will show up in that video. :)

TrekMD

While this is more relevant to those of us in the United States, I thought this was an interesting conversation between John Hancock and Brett Weiss about the NES and how it changed the video game industry after the infamous crash.

davyk

We didn't really experience a crash here in the UK. The 2600 naturally fizzled out and the 8 bit micros slotted into its place. The Sinclair Spectrum, C64, Atari 800/400, Amstrad 464 etc. replaced consoles as game playing platforms before the consoles came back. I went back to consoles via the NES but the Sega Master System was bigger here before the SNES and Megadrive launched.

TrekMD

Yes, it was a North American phenomenon and I wasn't even aware of it as I was living through it.  It's also fascinating that the SMS did not do well in the US but it did well outside of the US.  It was a capable console, so it is unfortunate people just got tied to the NES over here. 

TrekMD

davyk

Quote from: TrekMD on July 11, 2020, 15:56:33 PM
Yes, it was a North American phenomenon and I wasn't even aware of it as I was living through it.  It's also fascinating that the SMS did not do well in the US but it did well outside of the US.  It was a capable console, so it is unfortunate people just got tied to the NES over here. 

I'm pretty sure it was by design. Nintendo ruled the US market with an iron fist. Once they got into a dominant position they threatened withholding stock if anyone considered selling competitor products. Or had distributers tied up in contracts to make it very difficult for anyone else to get in.

TrekMD

Yeah, I'm sure it was be design.  I do believe other companies tried to fight then in court about it but weren't very successful.

compot

I'm ashamed to admit but Golf (1984) is my favorite game on the NES.

TrekMD

Don't be.  Everyone has their personal taste. :)

davyk

Quote from: compot on August 04, 2020, 10:14:30 AM
I'm ashamed to admit but Golf (1984) is my favorite game on the NES.

I actually rather liked Golf on the NES. I first played the Playchoice version of it in the pub I used to work in. Four of us used to play that game all the time for drinks etc. - would play 2 vs 2 taking alternate strokes. The NES console version is pretty much a perfect copy of it.

There's a speedrunner who runs NES Golf called Big John who is very entertaining - he also runs SMB2 (the JP lost levels version) of that.

TrekMD

The New Retro Show looks at new games for the NES...

TrekMD

davyk

Heh. I was an adult when I got the NES (final year at university).

My final exam scores would have benefited from its use though.....