The Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Thread

Started by dcultrapro, August 28, 2012, 13:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"I'm bidding on the following on Ebay after peoples suggestions:

Alisia Dragoon
Mercs
Toe Jam And Earl
Wrestle War (not a suggestion, I had it before; Nostalgia lol)
Asterix and the Great Rescue
Shadow Dancer
Zero Tolerence
Vectorman

please keep the suggestions coming!

whats shadow run like? and has anyone played Battletech? Saw the graphics of that and if I can find it reasonably priced I might buy it

Alisia Dragoon is pretty good, if you like that then you will like a game called Jewel Master too.

I remember you saying earlier about ESWAT, if you like that them you will love Rolling Thunder 2.

I picked up Wrestle War a while back as I LOVED it when I was younger, sadly it has aged terribly!  :(

dcultrapro

Quote from: "The Laird"Alisia Dragoon is pretty good, if you like that then you will like a game called Jewel Master too.

I remember you saying earlier about ESWAT, if you like that them you will love Rolling Thunder 2.

I picked up Wrestle War a while back as I LOVED it when I was younger, sadly it has aged terribly!  :(

I'll bet it hasn't lol, ok cool I'll have a look around
Ultrapro on xbox live

dcultrapro

I've put an offer in on Battletech on ebay, I want the following ones sometime but doubt I will ever buy them:

Castlevania Bloodlines                    (buy it now £99)
Granada                                      (buy it now £17.99)
Gunstar Heroes                             (£40/£50)
Mega Turrican                              (£40)
Shadow Run                                 (£45-£149... there is also a Mega CD version? WTF??)
Wonderboy 3 Monster Lair               (bidding on a cheap auction)

any others I should consider that might be closer to my price range? I've downloaded all of them as ROMs to try out and so far all of the above are pretty good
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Do you have Wolfchild? I reckon that is your sort of game, the Mega CD version is the best to go with.

Have you checked out Mazin Wars too?

dcultrapro

I have got Wolfchild yeah on Mega CD, Mazin Wars? hmm...
Ultrapro on xbox live

Shadowrunner

Wow, I can't believe how much shadowrun goes for in the UK.
I guess that's because it was never actually released on the Mega Drive, just the Genesis. You can buy a copy on ebay.com ( the US site ) for way less. Even with shipping it shouldn't cost anywhere near the prices you mentioned.  :)

onthinice

I do not own Herzog Zwei but I have often heard good things about the game.

dcultrapro

not that I'm nitpicking or having a go but when you say not released on the Mega Drive I assume what you mean is it was not released in Europe, because obviously Mega Drive and Genesis are the same machine, right?
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"not that I'm nitpicking or having a go but when you say not released on the Mega Drive I assume what you mean is it was not released in Europe, because obviously Mega Drive and Genesis are the same machine, right?

I am not nit picking but Mega Drive was only called the Genesis in North America, it's the MD in the rest of the world  :P

onthinice

Yeah but Genesis sounds cooler ;) ;D

Vyothric

Mega Drive is possibly the best console name ever.

TL

Quote from: "Vyothric"Mega Drive is possibly the best console name ever.

I was thinking the same

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "dcultrapro"not that I'm nitpicking or having a go but when you say not released on the Mega Drive I assume what you mean is it was not released in Europe, because obviously Mega Drive and Genesis are the same machine, right?

Yes I meant not released in Europe.
As for the name I actually like Mega Drive better, even though it wasn't released under that name where I live.

TL

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"

Yes I meant not released in Europe.
As for the name I actually like Mega Drive better, even though it wasn't released under that name where I live.

The original name for the Sega Genesis in North America was the Atari Tomahawk!

Sega wanted to call it something "American" and chose that name but Atari hated it and told Sega they thought it was a bit offensive (to Native Americans). As they were the ones set to release the machine in the US at that time they got to change the name and one of their programmers called Steve Rhyno (who programmed Toki on the Lynx) came up with Genesis and it stuck, even when the deal with Sega fell through. He chose it because it was supposed to represent a new start, being the first fully 16-bit console on the market, not for any religious reasons.

Shadowrunner

Now there's some obscure trivia! Atari made the right choice, the Tomahawk is a terrible name lol