Prinztronic Tournament 5000

Started by Landworm77, December 30, 2020, 19:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landworm77

I’m 43 now and remember as a kid playing on a console that my dad had. Now I’ve moved out and married with a child I had a call with my mum who said she had been clearing out a cupboard and found an old computer console and did I want it. Yes was the answer but I can’t get it to work on my modern television. The console is a Prinztronic Tournament 5000 which looks to connect to the tv via the co axial aerial socket. This then suggests that the tv has to be tuned to the signal when it’s switched on? Does this sound correct as I’ve had a go but can’t get it to work. My tv is a new 55 inch Toshiba. Any advice or information to help would be greatfully appreciated as very keen to get this working.

TrekMD

Most older consoles need that you have the TV set to channels 3 or 4, usually so you can see the signal from the console.  By the way, I'm not sure I've ever heard of this system before.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Landworm77

Thanks for your reply, I will try and manually tune the television again to channels 3 or 4 to see if that works. I’ve attached a photo of the console that I have. There is no CPU in the console, the game content comes from each cartridge in it.

TrekMD

Yes, I just read about it here.  Interesting that the CPU is in the carts. That must have made them more expensive.  By the way, some consoles used channel 2.  In case 3 or 4 don't work.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Landworm77

Thanks for your comments , link and assistance. With a bit of persistence I’ve managed to get it working. I found the signal using an auto scan on an analog channel number 37. All the cartridges/games work so brought back a few memories. It must be at least 40 years old and now got my 8 year old playing with me to introduce the next generation.

TrekMD

That is awesome!  Channel 37, eh?  Glad it is working and that you're playing with you son.  :)

Shadowrunner

Never see one of those before! Good you got it to work.