Atari Flashback 4?

Started by TrekMD, August 26, 2012, 22:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cryptic33

Yes, a modern yet retro looking console would work. There are a few possibilities/routes they could have taken. The whole OLD & NEW concept would have been awesome.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

guest5130

I have a Flashback 3 that I've used a few times and to be honest, it's sitting with a pile of other junk waiting to be sold on ebay.

The only games I played and enjoyed on it were probably Battlezone and the diving game (can't remember the name). I didn't play these back in the day so some of the more simplistic games won't have clicked with me but even so, I thought there were too many awful sports games on there and too many 2-player games which is a problem because once Christmas was done and we'd finished laughing at how bad some of the games are in 2014, there was very little to do with it.

The emulation seemed decent enough but as I said, too many sports and rubbish games (like the maths game!). I didn't use it long enough to rate how durable it was though.

For better 2600 games, I picked up the Activision Hits Remixed PSP game.

ls650

I own an FB4.  I own a couple of 'real' 2600s and I just bought the FB out of curiosity.  My understanding is that it has a custom ARM-based processor running an emulator with actual ROMs.  The emulation is pretty good but not quite perfect. 

I like the idea, but the lack of some way to load ROMs yourself kills it.  If it had an SD slot or a USB port it would be great.  Failing that, it would have been much improved to have at least licenced a handful of 3rd party games, such as Frogger, Q-bert, Ms Pacman, Imagic and Activision games, etc.  Heck, I bet there are a lot of homebrew developers who would have been proud to have one of their games included.

Instead, we get a few good inhouse games like Missile Command, Asteroids, Pole Position - and a lot of the bottom tier crud.

TrekMD

I know some people have done mods of the other models to allow for cartridges or for uploading of ROMs.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

retromod

Quote from: "TrekMD"I know some people have done mods of the other models to allow for cartridges or for uploading of ROMs.

but the price you'll get a heavy sixer.....
http://www.konsolen-mod.de for mod showroom and configurator

davyk

Get an a actual console and a Harmony cart - then you can play every game released ever including Starpath games and the new excellent homebrew stuff.

Cryptic33

Quote from: "davyK"Get an a actual console and a Harmony cart - then you can play every game released ever including Starpath games and the new excellent homebrew stuff.
Well, that is the future I guess
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

retromod

Quote from: "davyK"Get an a actual console and a Harmony cart - then you can play every game released ever including Starpath games and the new excellent homebrew stuff.

As I know the harmony cart is not registered in an european country for the required regulations like CE, ROHS nor WEEE (dump). So it is quite illegal to import it into the european country else you as seller register for the vendor. As Cartridges and joysticks are classified as "devices" they require to follow regulations within europe. I heared a similar regulation will be currently prepared in USA (most likely due to agreement US/european market requirements). Normally such devices are stopped during import and dumped if it gets attention. Problem seems to be that large amounts of devices are dumped every year and all the vendors do not pay for it as they are sitting in foreign countries (like china). So focus is specially on that kind of devices according to some articles.

See also http://export.gov/europeanunion/weeerohs/  a nice website created for all companies (AtariAge seems one) who want to export electronic stuff to europe.

Here an overview in english from european regulation management: http://www.epeat.org/
http://www.konsolen-mod.de for mod showroom and configurator

guest5112

Then I guess I was just lucky. :-)
I ordered my cartridge 4 weeks before and yesterday it arrived.
The package was opened by the German customs, but not objected.
I did not had to pay any import duty ...

Greetings
Thomas

Bobinator

Does this still have the 7800 games on it? I remember my cousin bought me one of those ones... I want to say it was the original, but I could be wrong. I just remember it had Food Fight, and I remember that game was a lot of fun. Never could quite into the other games on there as much, to be honest... but now I should probably go get Food Fight again.

Just so I can look at your character's creepy distending jaw again. Thing's like a snake, man.

TL

Very nice 8Bit Junkie  :113:

Never heard of Harmony carts being stopped before, I know loads of people with them. Most people don't give a crap about those kinds of regulations, especially for what are essentially homebrew projects for obsolete hardware. Nothing to get hung up about in my opinion.

On the subject of the Flashback consoles - I just don't see the point when I have the real thing!

TL

Quote from: "Bobinator"Does this still have the 7800 games on it? I remember my cousin bought me one of those ones... I want to say it was the original, but I could be wrong. I just remember it had Food Fight, and I remember that game was a lot of fun. Never could quite into the other games on there as much, to be honest... but now I should probably go get Food Fight again.

Just so I can look at your character's creepy distending jaw again. Thing's like a snake, man.

The original Flashback console was the one that looked like a mini 7800. Unfortunately it was also a NOAC (NES On A Chip) and so all the games had been re-written for it and were bloody awful. The Flashback 1 really was a steaming pile of crap and because it sold so badly over here we never got the Flashback 2, which is a million times better as is actually based on real hardware.

guest5112

Quote from: "Bobinator"Does this still have the 7800 games on it?

No, of course not :-)
It came empty, ready to be filled with fresh homebrew :-)

TL

Quote from: "8Bitjunkie"
Quote from: "Bobinator"Does this still have the 7800 games on it?

No, of course not :-)
It came empty, ready to be filled with fresh homebrew :-)

He meant the Flashback! See my reply :3:

guest5112

Quote from: "The Laird"Never heard of Harmony carts being stopped before, I know loads of people with them.

Me too: i know a lot of people owning this Carts, and i have never ever heard of one cart being dropped by customs...