Atari Flashback 4?

Started by TrekMD, August 26, 2012, 22:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

[align=center:129nkjli]Has anyone heard about this?  Here is a video review for it:

Armchair Arcade: Atari Flashback 4 Review[/align:129nkjli]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Is this not the new one that is made in China and licensed from Atari?

onthinice

I helped with this!!!

I bought the Flashback 1 and Flashback 3. LOL!

Really though I had not heard yet. It looks better than the last.

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Is this not the new one that is made in China and licensed from Atari?
Perhaps.  I truly don't know.  It is expected out later in the year.  I like the idea of wireless controllers and that the new paddles for this system will work with exisiting Atari 2600 consoles. 

onthinice

Is the demand really that high? I bought the Flashback 3 thinking it had the SD card slot.

zapiy

They must sell a few to warrant to continued upgrade.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"Is the demand really that high? I bought the Flashback 3 thinking it had the SD card slot.

I'm guessing they sell enough to keep making new ones.  I think the extra controllers for this one may sell more. 

dot.fyre

Isn't it just 3 but with wireless controllers?  ???

TrekMD

Quote from: "stvd"Isn't it just 3 but with wireless controllers?  ???

Not based on what he says.  It has 15 more games than version 3 and it will have additional controllers available that are backwards compatible with the original console.  The new paddles may be of particular interest.

Cryptic33

I see it has been a while since anyone posted in this topic but as I now own a Flashback 4 I thought I would throw in my two-penneth worth.

On the whole I agree with this guy's review. However, I doubt I will play this console again. Why, you may ask and basically it is a mixture of clever marketing and a failure to deliver. By this I mean that the console itself is fine and some of the games such as Space Invaders, are quite good and are colourful. The wireless controllers do indeed play very well with no lag.

Then it starts to go downhill for me. As he mentions, there are no Activision or Imagic titles and I found that whilst there are a few good classics on there like Adventure, I felt cheated because only half a dozen of the 75 games provided are good. The 2600 had some excellent games and if AtGames are going to pay tribute to the Granddaddy of video gaming, please the fans and make money, then good games are essential. Of course this is true of any system.

Personally, if I want to play 2600 titles then I will get an original console and carts. That is more fun in many ways and more tactile. I really liked the idea of a compact 2600 console with a lot of games that reflected a glorious past but the Flashback 4 fails to do this in my humble opinion.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TrekMD

I have the original Flashback and the Flashback 2.  I've had opportunity to by the Flashback 4 but I've decided against it because of these reviews.  Look like you just reinforced what has been said.

Cryptic33

Quote from: "TrekMD"I have the original Flashback and the Flashback 2.  I've had opportunity to by the Flashback 4 but I've decided against it because of these reviews.  Look like you just reinforced what has been said.
Yeah, don't get me wrong though, I am not a purist who thinks the original is best and everything else is a mediocre copy. This console has a number of good points like the excellent joy sticks and a reasonably good menu. It has a certain appeal to a brand new audience.

Then, there are the rest of us. TBH, if they had included River Raid and just 1 or 2 more excellent games I would have praised it. This is where I get angry because we all know of a number of great games for the 2600 and so many years on it is not unreasonable to expect some of the best in the bundle. This is compounded by the fact it is a pale emulation of the original console which, and this is another big issue given the lack of good games, it doesn't have a cartridge slot so you are stuck with the bundle that comes with it.

If this version/release number had been the first eg Flashback 1 then it would have promise but as it stands it is teasing the fan base with promises and then insulting their intelligence. The 2600 is historic but also very old. If licensing is the issue then it would be better not to make such consoles.

Ok rant over though I do see the incredible potential for a console like this. Shame.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

retromod

why must these Flashback consoles always looks soo ugly? And why is it not a simple shrink of existings designs instead of a complete remake most likely with other cpu's like the retro consoles where before? A single chip 2600 is not a rocket science specially if you have all plans. hdmi and stereo is not a problem, too. and preinstalled games is a good idea but also having an original cartridge slot. but all of this devices do not follow this track even if price would be low.
http://www.konsolen-mod.de for mod showroom and configurator

Cryptic33

Quote from: "retromod"why must these Flashback consoles always looks soo ugly? And why is it not a simple shrink of existings designs instead of a complete remake most likely with other cpu's like the retro consoles where before? A single chip 2600 is not a rocket science specially if you have all plans. hdmi and stereo is not a problem, too. and preinstalled games is a good idea but also having an original cartridge slot. but all of this devices do not follow this track even if price would be low.
Quite! By modernising the system eg HDMI output but staying true to the original by incorporating a cart slot the idea would have legs. I feel this was a way of making a few quid, nothing more.

retromod

well if you add a special cartridge slot additionaly to the original one and offering an onlne shop to buy homebrew games you may earn a lot of money..... by playing old and NEW games without any problems in producing old cartridges.
http://www.konsolen-mod.de for mod showroom and configurator