New Atari Jaguar Homebrew - Biopede

Started by TrekMD, October 20, 2020, 00:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

CiranoJ has released a new homebrew title for the Atari Jaguar called Biopede.  This is a free release that can only be used with a JagSD/GD cart or a SkunkBoard as the ROM is locked to these devices.  Notice that the game is still in development.

Based on the classic games "Centipede/Millipede" you must defend against waves of horrible Biopedes, Spiders, Butterflies, and the garden Skeleton (because every garden has a skeleton, ok?) - The beautiful princess will pop up if the shrooms start getting low in numbers.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

HDN

TrekMD

Sure does!  And it's not even finished!

HDN

Centipede is an underrated game. Though it's much better with a trak ball, it isn't completely necessary like for other games like Crystal Castles. Many of the home versions did just fine. I enjoy the 2600 port quite a bit, and I'm getting the 7800 version tomorrow most likely (mail). I've heard the version of Centipede on the 5200 is worth owning the system and trak ball for. I'd like to get a 5200 at some point, but not anytime soon.

Another fun version is on the Basic Fun mini arcade! I have the static LCD screen variant, and it plays very well. It's really interesting on how they arranged the graphics on the screen. Other than the screen getting a little too clogged up with mushrooms rather quickly, it's a very fun game. It's only about $20 at a Target or Wal-Mart or something, and I'd say it's worth it. I got mine back in '18. It was on clearance for six bucks at a Shopko (RIP)!

TrekMD

As much as I like Centipede, I actually prefer Millipede.  The 2600 port is fantastic.  Have you played that version?

HDN

Yes I have, @TrekMD ! Personally, I prefer Centipede to Millipede, but to be honest that's kind of like splitting hairs. It isn't like Galaxian where the sequel, Galaga, is almost a completely different game. Centipede and Millipede are almost identical. I like Centipede more of the two personally, but I'm not sure why I do! I will tell you this: I have played a LOT more 2600 Centipede than Millipede.

I actually don't have either version on cartridge for my VCS. I'm getting Centipede in the mail in a couple of hours, but that's for my 7800. The Centipede series is among the higher-priced 2600 games at my local game store. They're both $10 as opposed to the usual $5 or $2. So since I'm getting 7800 Centipede, given the choice between getting the two 2600 versions I would most likely go for Millipede. There's no 7800 version of Millipede!

You know, the NES got a really good version of Millipede. The borders are pretty ugly, sure, but the game plays really well. And isn't that all that matters?

TrekMD

I think there is either a hack or a prototype (I can't remember right now) of Millipede for the 7800!  Both games are fun, without question.  I didn't know about the NES port. I'll have to check it out.

HDN

Oh, yes. I'm pretty sure it was a prototype, though I'm not sure if it was ever found. If I remember correctly from the 7800 Game by Game Podcast, they thought they found the original prototype for Millipede, but it ended up being just a faked hack of Centipede.

So I guess it's a little bit of both.

TrekMD

Yep.  I found the thread in AA.  There are binaries there and it does look pretty good.

zapiy

This does look fun, will there be a physical release do you think?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I don't believe so.  Not unless CJ decides to create a cart with various games like the one that is coming in AA for another set of games by Reboot.  For now it is a free ROM.