The MB Vectrex Thread

Started by TL, August 24, 2012, 17:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

That looks great!  Welcome to the world of Vectrex!  You are in for quite the treat!  The multi-cart is a great way to play the games.  As DC notes, you may end up getting the originals for the overlays or you may try to get reproductions of the overlays to play them.  Here is a site that sells them:  Vectrex Reproduction Overlays.  I ended up with a mixture of it all!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

thedamnedunited

As posted in the "Your Fave 8 bit console" thread, had a great afternoon on the Vectrex going through some of the games on the 32 game cartridge.

Fave so far is Scramble

TrekMD

Scramble is excellent on the Vectrex! It's no wonder you've picked it.  :)

onthinice

I have been curious about the 32-1 cart. Glad you are enjoying the games. Maybe you can post your thoughts on the cartridge construction?

thedamnedunited

Quote from: "onthinice"I have been curious about the 32-1 cart. Glad you are enjoying the games. Maybe you can post your thoughts on the cartridge construction?

No probs, I'll give it another weeks testing and then I'll put something in this thread

onthinice

TrekMD

Looks like development for more Vectrex homebrew titles continues. This image from Kristof's web page shows new overlays that have been made for current games and for future titles. You'll notice two games in there that are new: Vector Patrol and Vector Hopper. Hopefully, the fact that the overlays are ready means that the games are coming soon.   :D

TrekMD

OK, ready to dance with the Vectrex?  Take a look...

TL

TrekMD

Here is another Vectrex video done with music.  This one is called Human Vectors and it was created by Dov Jacobson.  There's an interview with Dov posted at Rhizome:  Dov Jacobson: Human Vectors (1982).

Here is his video...

TrekMD

I just learned that a prototype of a Vectrex game called Mail Plane is currently on sale on Ebay.  It appears the version being sold is more complete than other versions that have been found.  Check out the auction:  Vectrex Mail Plane Prototype.

I had never heard of this game until today.  Here is a video:
Vectrex Mail Plane with Pen
What appears very interesting is that the game requires the light pen and the joystick for play. 

TrekMD

This game has been won by someone in the community and there are plans for a full release in the works.  :)

TrekMD

Looks like this year will be "The Year of the Vectrex" when it comes to homebrew game releases.  There are some 12 titles that will be seeing release in 2014:
  • NOX
  • Nogoya Attack
  • Bloxorz
  • Death Race
  • Demon Attack
  • Beam Rider
  • Ave Maria
  • Hellhole
  • Pong
  • Big Blue
  • Vector Patrol
  • Vector Hopper
  • Pong
  • Mail Plane

TL

Wow, Beam Rider on the Vectrex? That is going to be sweet, I love that game!  :8:

TrekMD

Yes it will!  Many of these games are in early development so I haven't posted about them but they are indeed coming!