The MB Vectrex Thread

Started by TL, August 24, 2012, 17:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

I know we have at least one massive Vectrex fan here in Trek MD (check out his awesome reviews!) but I noticed we didn't actually have an official Vectrex discussion thread.

Here is something to get started with, two videos by Ashens who I usually love but in this case I think he was a bit harsh on the system:

tomwaits

Vectrex is one of my favorites. The retail library was great, and some of the homebrews are even better than the retail games. Waiting patiently for my Warrior homebrew to arrive from Fury Unlimited... should be another great Vectrex game.

Also, Retrocade magazine just started their Vector War II high score competition today. Prizes for the top 3 and a mention in their magazine.

http://www.retrocademagazine.net/forums ... =23&t=1217

TrekMD

Quote from: "tomwaits"Vectrex is one of my favorites. The retail library was great, and some of the homebrews are even better than the retail games. Waiting patiently for my Warrior homebrew to arrive from Fury Unlimited... should be another great Vectrex game.

Also, Retrocade magazine just started their Vector War II high score competition today. Prizes for the top 3 and a mention in their magazine.

http://www.retrocademagazine.net/forums ... =23&t=1217

I'm also eagerly waiting for Warrior!  I did see Vector Wars II, so may give it a try.  :)  I do have to say, though, my most favorite Vectrex game so far is Vector Pilot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E85K0tfF ... r_embedded

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Just came across this, a really cool demo for the Vectrex!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC1Zp4i12I4

TrekMD

That is one awesome demo!   :113:

onthinice

Another Vectrex fan.

I tend to keep an open mind about gameplay. My problem is with all systems not just the Vectrex. There are good games on the Vectrex that should be played and then there are games that are far better and should be played on other consoles.

I do recommend trying one if you ever get the chance to play.

TrekMD

The Vectrex is, to this day, a unique home gaming experience and the only vector games home system.  No one has ever brought vectors him in this manner, which is interesting because vector games appeal to a lot of players.

TL

Its a real shame we never got to see the colour Vectrex  :'(

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Its a real shame we never got to see the colour Vectrex  :'(

I know!  Only two prototypes were made, from what I've found out.  And they used a rather interesting technique to get colors.  It would have been awesome!  To think that no one else has even tried bringing another vector system home! 

tomwaits

... still waiting patiently for my Warrior cart ...

TrekMD

Quote from: "tomwaits"... still waiting patiently for my Warrior cart ...

So am I.  Along with the special joystick I ordered as well.

TL

TrekMD

These multicarts are great.  That's how I have a ton of games for the Vectrex.  :)

tomwaits

The multicart in that video is the Sean Kelly multi. It's more expensive than some of the newer multicarts, but it includes the full retail library and most of the early Vectrex homebrews. You can press one of the Vectrex buttons on the game select menu and it'll swap to a second memory bank and a second list of games... mostly homebrews. Sean Kelly still sells new batches on ebay occasionally but it hasn't been updated in a long time.

I made a game list/case insert for my cart. Here's what's on it:

Menu 1 - 3D Crazy Coaster, 3D Minestorm, 3D Narrow Escape, Armor Attack, Art Master, Bedlam, Berzerk, Blitz!, Clean Sweep, Cosmic Chasm, Dark Tower, Fortress of Narzod, Heads Up, Hyperchase, Melody Maker, Polar Rescue, Pole Position, Ripoff, Scramble, Solar Quest, Space Wars, Spike, Spinball, Star Castle, Star Hawk, Star Trek, Web Wars, Mine Storm Cheat, Test Rev.4, Frogger, All Good Things (Rockaroids, More Invaders, Vectris, Spike's Water Balloons), Mr. Boston, Tour DeFrance, Moon Lander

Menu 2 - 3D Pole Position, Berzerk 2 (bugfix), Melody Master 2, Mine Storm 2 (bugfix), Polar Rescue Beta (easier, but some graphics glitches), Star Trek 2 (bugfix, pause, new Klingons), Birds of Prey, Disc Duel demo, Patriots, Repulse, Rockaroids Remix : 3rd Rock, Star Fire, Tempest demo, Vector Vaders, Vector Vaders 2 : director's cut, Spike Hoppin, Vectrace, Vectrexians (beta?), Bachs Prelude, Bonnie, Daisy, Engine Analyzer, 4D Rotocube, Mike's Molecules, Hypercube, Figgy, Jukebox

TrekMD

Since I have this cart and a 3D Imager, I've tried the 3D Pole Position but it really isn't the 3D version despite the name.  It's the same 2D version that got labeled that way.  Or, at least, that's what my cart has.  I would have loved to try out the 3D version!