The NES Thread

Started by zapiy, January 20, 2012, 01:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

[align=center:26l1phj7]Super Mario Bros 3[/align:26l1phj7]

This is one of the best games on the NES titles released. So tell us your ultimate NES games and add-ons and RVG will pick a winner.

Or just tell us your experiences with NES, what did you love about it?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Many know that I am not a lover of the NES  ;D

But my favourite game for it has to Double Dragon 2

onthinice

zapiy

No lol. I never completed the task. Maybe I should do it again now we are busier?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

For sure you should do it, sounds like fun.  :)

onthinice

TL

My ultimate NES game is Ice Climber, so much fun in 2-player!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey3_8dEotS8

TL

Seen as I posted some in the SMS thread too . . . .

17 Best Old Nintendo Commercials

TrekMD

You can tell that imagination was required when playing in any of the retro systems when you look at how the commercials were made. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "zapiy"Or just tell us your experiences with NES, what did you love about it?

You're assuming that those who've played on the NES found something to love about it? Interesting!  :21:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TrapZZ

I love the NES, but that's probably because I'm in the U.S. and it really did restart the video game craze.  Until it came along I was playing dated Intellivision or A8 games and drooling over the unobtainable Amiga and STs.  The NES brought awesome looking affordable gaming back.

Actually I started out with an SMS because my friend was selling his.  It was the only thing I'd be able to afford (he let me make payments) so I jumped on it.  The quality was definitely better but the 100s of games for the NES kept me envious.  Finally when I turned 13 I got a part time job and bought my own NES.

My brother and I are collecting all the U.S. NES games.  We're pretty close, there are 800 total and we have about 650, including some of the really rare ones like Cheetahmen 2.  I'll take pics sometime but I know how few NES lovers there are here so I figured there was no hurry ;)

[Start Selfish Plug]
If anyone is interested in checking them out for the first time, we have a youtube channel (http://brothernights.com) where we are attempting to play every one ever made.  It's not really a review, we just try to recreate the experience of opening a beer and popping a game in for the first time.  The videos are kept brief and released every Thursday. 
[/End Selfish Plug]
Join my brother and I as we drink beer and review every US NES game ever made (the actual games on the actual hardware, not emulated).
http://www.brothernights.com

Vyothric

Having now played a decent amount of games on the NES (around 20 or so), I thought I'd post a few thoughts about it.

I didn't quite know what to expect with the NES. As much as I knew about the Americans really liking it (which I've seen for myself being on twitter), I wasn't expecting great things because of what people here thought.

As it happens, I probably sit somewhere in the middle of the two. The games I've played, I've liked. Not really to the extent that the Americans go on about it, but nothing's really disappointed me either. I like games and there are some good ones.

The hardware itself has been the most annoying part. PAL console that can't be modified - so I had to get an NTSC motherboard and swap it with my PAL one. Composite video output that looks worse than pretty much any other I've ever seen. The only way of modding this was to replace the PPU with a very expensive replacement and do a bit of soldering. The controller - it's not the worst I've used, but it's pretty bad. D-Pad is too small and the controller itself can dig into your hands.

So, while I suppose it's a console I would find hard to recommend because of the hardware issues - for me it's actually turned out alright.

davyk

Lots of great memories of NES - even though the PAL version was less than optimal at the time I didn't know any better and so it didn't spoil the experience for me.

SMB, SMB3, Punch Out, Gradius and Battletoads are my favourites - but I'll pick out this great game that was developed by Zed Two with RARE. Solar Jetman - a brilliant gravity based shmup that took the Thrust/Gravitar style of game and pushed it to the limits. Superb game...

Solar Jetman: Hunt for the Golden Warpship - NES Gameplay

davyk

aah...... can't leave it at that.

Can't leave out the great Dropzone - lightening fast (even in PAL) redux of Defender by Archer Maclean.

Drop Zone (NES) Gameplay

or the excellent port of Boulderdash...clocked up serious hours on this. My girlfriend even played this one with me (now my wife).

Boulder Dash - NES Gameplay

DreamcastRIP

How does Dropzone on the NES compare to the Atari 400/800 original version and the subsequent conversion for "the less capable Commodore 64"?

Source of quote being the programmer of both computer versions, Archer MacLean -
http://www.dadgum.com/halcyon/BOOK/MACLEAN.HTM
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac