NEW ATARI JAGUAR HOMEBREW Fishin' Frenzy COJAG Conversion

Started by wave1games, June 26, 2020, 04:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wave1games

Hello folks,

recent times have been a bit of a bummer with all of the insanity going on in the world so I have been trying to do things that are a bit less stressful. I woke up one day last week and said "you know what? I'm gonna try my hand at porting over that COJAG arcade game Fishin' Frenzy over to the actual Jaguar console"

So I started on it already. I used PhotoShop 2020 and honeycam to rip most of the graphics from the game. About 70% of everything in the actual arcade game has already been ripped and I am still ripping sprites and such now. I have spent about 2 or 3 days on this conversion so far and it's coming along nicely. Now being that I don't have the actual source code to the original arcade game, this is actually a re-creation and not an actual port. With that being said I am convinced I can make a 100% accurate replica of the arcade game. One cool thing about this is that I can run the real game in MAME and at the same time run my version in Virtual Jaguar and simultaneously control both games with the same controller. This sounds bizarre but is actually very helpful in identifying what needs to be changed in my version vs the real thing.  Below is a video of both my conversion and the real game. MAME is running on the right and the Jaguar version is running on the left in Virtual Jaguar so you guys can get an idea of just how close it's coming along. You may notice that some of the sound effects are not exactly the same. This is because I was unable to rip some sounds like the "Cha-Ching!" sound when you catch a fish. For these sounds I found similar samples online and adjusted the pitch using audacity to match the original sounds as close as possible. Anyway working on this little guy has been very relaxing and I am enjoying the hell out of it! Have a look!

https://youtu.be/JaBJRncqY_M

Shadowrunner

Cool! I've never seen this game before but it looks like fun. Good luck finishing it :)

TrekMD

Yes, I had never seen this game before.  The Jaguar port is coming alone nicely! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

wave1games

A lot of people have been saying they haven't heard of this game before or seen it. As it is technically part of the Atari Jaguars history being a COJAG game I highly recommend searching for the arcade ROM online and giving it a go in MAME for anyone that is interested. It is a fun little game. There is also FREEZE and VICIOUS CIRCLE. FREEZE is a cutesy puzzle game and VICIOUS CIRCLE is a really bad rip off of Killer Instinct.

TrekMD

I also did not know of the COJAG, so it would be cool to see those games ported to the console.  :)

wave1games

Area 51 is a great example of the COJAG hardware and I am also considering giving a shot at converting that over if this one goes over well.

TrekMD

Saturn

This looks great! Hope it goes well, can't wait to see more :)

zapiy

You ever fancy doing something with us here? Maybe part of a dev think with The RVG Squad or just publishing with Bitmap Soft?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Saturn

TrekMD

There are two arcade games that Willie (Arcade USA) just showed that would be perfect on the Jaguar.