Final Fight Arcade Restoration Finally Finished

Started by ArcadeAction, April 30, 2020, 04:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcadeAction

Hi everyone,

There's been lots of interesting content on this website in the past months.

I had been working gathering parts for sometime to complete a Final Fight project. This was probably the most ambitious restoration I've done yet.

Here's a couple of photos, and a more detailed write up is at the link below:

https://arcademade.com/pages/capcom-final-fight-arcade-game-cabinet-restoration

BONUS: there is actually a secret third button in arcade Final Fight that will let you parry grab attacks. When Andore and other bosses attempt to grab you, pressing this third button will actually allow you to escape! Your character will laugh and you will be free! I have wired in the start buttons so that if you get grabbed, a quick tap and you'll have a chance to escape. Who knew?!

Shadowrunner

That looks great. Never knew about that third button!

TrekMD

Looks fantastic!  Quite the undertaking but looks like your efforts paid off!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

ArcadeAction

Maybe this has already been discussed here before, but here is a link to the Final Fight 30th anniversary mod for three simultaneous players:

https://www.retrorgb.com/final-fight-30th-anniversary-brings-3-player-mode-to-real-arcade-hardware.html

davyk

Splendid looking cabinet that. The pipe is a great touch. Nothing quite like a dedicated cab. :)

That third button - you say secret - was it accessible in the arcade or was it not possible to use because of the limited buttons?

ArcadeAction

Quote from: davyk on May 03, 2020, 01:13:09 AM
Splendid looking cabinet that. The pipe is a great touch. Nothing quite like a dedicated cab. :)

That third button - you say secret - was it accessible in the arcade or was it not possible to use because of the limited buttons?

Yeah, basically Final Fight would only have two buttons on the machine labeled "attack" and "jump". The instructions on the bezel also only discuss these two buttons.

I had read somewhere that the third button was perhaps used in game testing before it was released. The fact that your character laughs when he escapes is an interesting touch.

Generally, if a person were to connect a Final Fight arcade PCB to another arcade JAMMA cabinet with three buttons (Double Dragon for instance) you would automatically have access to the third button. However, as it wouldn't seem to do anything regularly and all the instructions fail to mention it it would probably go ignored. There really only a very short time frame where pressing it will allow you to escape a hold move. Interesting to realize after all these years.

zapiy

Unreal work bud, love it, would love to do a feature for you on the frontpage about this too?

How did you hear about the 3rd button?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

ArcadeAction

Quote from: zapiy on May 03, 2020, 18:45:38 PM
Unreal work bud, love it, would love to do a feature for you on the frontpage about this too?

How did you hear about the 3rd button?

I read about it when people were talking about the Final Fight 30th anniversary edition that allows you to play three players simultaneously. They were talking about having this game run on the original hardware and wanting to ensure that this third button was carried over.

I actually like having it dual wired to the start buttons because it makes you have to think quick with some effort and reach and do a quick tap on the button if you get grabbed.