MB Microvision

Started by TrekMD, August 25, 2015, 03:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

The MicroVision is the very first handheld game console that used interchangeable cartridges. It was released by the Milton Bradley Company in November 1979. The MicroVision was designed by Jay Smith, the engineer who would later design the Vectrex gaming console. The MicroVision's combination of portability and a cartridge-based system led to moderate success, with Smith Engineering grossing $15 million in the first year of the system's release. However, very few cartridges, a small screen, and a lack of support from established home video game companies led to its demise in 1981.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt5JuHMBvEw

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Cool little device. I've never really seen anything about it before.

TrekMD

I hadn't either, which is why I thought it'd be good to have a thread about it.  :)

Saturn

That's interesting. I'd never heard of it but cool to know where Der Luchs got inspiration.
Sad that it couldn't get support and faded away like that.

I want one

zapiy

Would like to pick one up one day.. Great to see Der Luchs reviving stuff like this.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

zapiy

I was hoping to have one of these by now, a friend at work thinks he has one at his parents and is willing to sell it to me, watch this space.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Cool,  good luck!  Hopefully your hunt is over soon.  :)

TrekMD

Here's another video looking at the MB Microvision by Player One Start.  Nice overview of this handheld system that is quite rare...