Author Topic: Games that where significantly worse or better on an older console.  (Read 186 times)

Offline Ryuhi

• View Profile
Was thinking about this and thought it would be a good topic.

Which games that came out on two generations of consoles where significantly better or worse on an older console.

One I remember being a whole lot worse is the ps1 version of Tony Hawk 4.

It was just high score and high score to progress whereas I remember playing the GameCube version which had unique challenges to do and a bit of a story.

One I heard is better on the previous generation console is rodeo the sky soldier for wii but I never played Any version of it.

Can anyone think of any other? We all know graphics will be better on newer consoles but I was thinking of other aspects like gameplay to story etc.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Games that where significantly worse or better on an older console.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 23:39:28 PM »
I can use an example with Atari systems:  Frogger.  Frogger for the Atari 2600 was made in two versions, one by Parker Bros and one by Starpath, with the latter being the better of the two.  I actually created a thread here talking about the differences (Starpath's The Official Frogger) and why the Starpath version is better.  Parker also ported the game to other systems but on system where the game was also ported to was the Atari 5200.  Though that version looks better than the 2600 version, the gameplay is awful because of control issues.  So, that's an instance of a game that actually plays better on the older system (either 2600 version) than on a newer system. 
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Online Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 23:45:24 PM »
I have both versions of Rodea TSS, they came together in a set. I tried the Wii U version for a bit and thought it was alright but I never have tried the Wii game. I've heard the same thing though, that the Wii game is much better.

One I can think of is BC Racers. It's on the Sega CD, 32X, and 3DO. The 32X and 3DO versions should be better as the hardware is more powerful but the Sega CD game is actually the best one.

Offline Ryuhi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 21:59:15 PM »
Another one I have seen that is better than it version on a newer console is the batman game from 1990 that came out of the NES and Mega Drive/Genesis. I have played the Sega version which was pretty good but not the one on the NES which is said to be one of the best NES.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal