Let's Compare - Stunt Car Racer

Started by TrekMD, July 25, 2015, 05:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Stunt Car Racer (also distributed under the title Stunt Track Racer) is a racing video game developed by Geoff Crammond and was published by MicroStyle in 1989. In the US it was published by MicroPlay.

Gameplay:

The game differs from other racing games in that the races take place on an elevated race track, with nothing to stop the player from accidentally driving off the side. Most race tracks in the game have gaps in them which will cause serious problems to the driver if he or she fails to clear them. If this occurs then the player's vehicle is hoisted back onto the track (by a nearby crane) which costs valuable time. Turbo can be used to make a car go faster, but it can only be used for a limited amount of time in each race.

The game received positive reviews when it was published. The game's 3D tracks resembled a roller coaster and were something new for players. Stunt Car Racer is often described as an especially fun racing game due to its special kind of track design.

The single-player game consists of a league table which is split into four divisions of three drivers each, making a total of twelve racers including the human player. There are two racing tracks in each division making it a total of eight tracks in the game. The tracks in division four (the first division) are easy, but the tracks get progressively more difficult and dangerous with each division. The player's objective is to reach, and subsequently win, division one. There are four races in a season, and each driver will race the other two drivers in both of the tracks in the division. Each race is run over three laps. Two points are awarded to the winner of each race and one point is awarded to the racer with the fastest lap time. At the end of each season, the top racer of each division is promoted to the next higher division while the driver in last place will be relegated.

Damage to the player's car occurs when the player lands too hard on the track after driving over a crest too fast, crashes into a wall, falls into a gap in the track, or hits the opponent's car. If the damage, which is indicated by a crack in the frame at the top of the screen, reaches a certain level the vehicle is deemed to be wrecked and the driver will lose the race instantly. A particularly hard crash will also make holes representing structural damage appear in the frame above the windshield. Holes remain on the car for the rest of the season and increase the rate at which the crack in the frame advances.

The player can compete against computer opponents or, at least on the Atari ST and Amiga versions, with another player using two computers connected via a null modem cable, each with their own TV or monitor .

Amiga and Atari ST versions of the game feature the most advanced graphics (in 1989 PC computers were still using low-resolution EGA graphic modes). The game has often reached top-20 in "the best Amiga/Atari ST game" votings.

Source:  Wikipedia

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

This is one of those games i spent what seems decades playing lol.. One of my all time favourite games, Amiga version was and is the best IMHO but then again i never really played the other versions.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

deKay

My favourite version is the clone of it for the Acorn - Stunt Race 2000. Much more depth, multiplayer modes, better graphics, all sorts. Actually, it was more like Trackmania crossed with Hard Drivin', I suppose.

zapiy

I will have to take a look at that version then.. sounds cracking.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Here is a new video from Retro Core looking at Stunt Car Racer and its various versions...

zapiy

Great video. I have been playing this abut over that past few weeks.

PatmanQC

This was an instant classic for me both on the Commodore 64 and then on the Amiga

TrekMD

This was ported to the Jaguar recently.  I think it's a port of either the Atari 8-bit or the Amiga but adapted to the Jaguar.

zapiy

Amiga version is a dream, when you look back there are many games that changed a genre, for me this game was the one all others had to beat. it just worked, felt great to drive, great feeling of speed, the recoil on the springs. Epic.

CJ_Reboot

It's a port from the ST version, with the render code moved partly to the GPU (Tom)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlsQIAdkFsw

zapiy

CJ_Reboot

To be fair, it started out as an amazing game :)

zapiy