The Curse of Illmoore Bay

Started by dra600n, November 06, 2019, 19:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dra600n

Hey Everyone!

Some of you may be familiar with this project from the Kickstarter campaign earlier this year, but in case you've missed it, I'm hear to babble on about it :)

Firstly, the first world (there will be 6 worlds all together) is finished and available for play in the demo (link at the end). The game is an adventure platformer for the Sega Genesis.

Here's a video of a playthrough of the demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FB6UYeHHrY

You can download the demo, as well as preorder the game, here: http://www.second-dimension.com/shop/product/33

Please note about this demo: There's some floor collisions that need to be updated and you can't shoot your fireball in the air. Future demo updates will have these issues fixed (the floors are already fixed, just not in the released demo).

I hope ya'll enjoy it!

Cheers!

zapiy

I have had the privilege of playing the fixed version and way its awesome.

How long will it take you to complete this game mate?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

dra600n

I would love to be finished within the next 3 months, but it's probably looking closer to 4 or 5, putting it finished around March.

All of the tools are built (at least to where I'm okay using them myself, but others would probably frown at them), and all of the graphical assets are created (sans touchups and the like), and the music is nearly all composed (2 tracks are in progress currently and 4 remain past that).

The main things I need to finish up for the engine are the colored doors/keys to enable the power-ups/extra boosts and such, and the other stage enemies AI and boss AI.

So, there's a lot of little things to tidy up with the engine, some medium work with the enemy AI's, and a fair amount of work for the boss AI's. Plus the other Kickstarter features (boss rush, achievements, SRAM stuffs, etc)

TrekMD

This just looks so cool!  I wish you knew how to develop for the Jaguar.  It'd be so cool to see games like this one on the system. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

dra600n

I wish I knew some Jaguar coding. Same with Neo Geo. I'd love to make a true arcade rom one day.

That said, I've been working my you-know-what's off since the Halloween Demo. There was a scrolling/performance issue that was driving me crazy. I rewrote a fair amount of code, and while it helped, it only helped slightly. Last night I found the thing causing the hiccups and now that's resolved.

I had one of my buddies test it last night and it locked up once during the regular stage, then locked up again after a death on the boss - neither of which were reproducible, which is going to be a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Hopefully I can find and fix those issues swiftly.

zapiy

That must be the Curse of Illmoore Bay striking lol

See what I did there????

Seriously though, that must be a pain?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

dra600n

Quote from: zapiy on November 12, 2019, 22:20:48 PM
That must be the Curse of Illmoore Bay striking lol

See what I did there????

Seriously though, that must be a pain?

Boo! LOL!!! The puns that can be used around this game is amazing haha

I *think* I resolved it. I discovered a few oopsies I did, which could've caused a hangup (when you die, if the music doesn't play, then the trigger for the screen transition never comes), but I won't know until more people are able to test it on different setups/configurations (Sega + CD unit, which model sega, which model CD unit, clone hardware, 32x add-on, etc).

If anyone runs into freezes or glitches, I'm just hoping it's 100% reproducible so it's possible to troubleshoot. I'll be releasing the new demo this evening (there's a few more goodies in there for ya'll to find)

TrekMD

dra600n

TrekMD

It'll be a while before I can play it.  I'm on a cruise! 

zapiy

Well, I have played it and I got to say, wow fella, huge improvements.

Greyfox

I don't play Megadrive Games, but had to try this out and it was like "WOW" I couldn't believe this was Homebrew dev title..it's 100% retail quality !..Smashed IT!

dra600n

Quote from: zapiy on November 17, 2019, 23:10:37 PM
Well, I have played it and I got to say, wow fella, huge improvements.

Thanks mate! Still have a few things to tweak, but it's coming along real well now!

Quote from: Greyfox on November 18, 2019, 19:11:06 PM
I don't play Megadrive Games, but had to try this out and it was like "WOW" I couldn't believe this was Homebrew dev title..it's 100% retail quality !..Smashed IT!

Thank you! Seriously. I'm hoping this game pushes Second Dimension into the next level.

zapiy

I think it will mate, you are certainly on the correct path here.