Nintendo Wii Anyone ???

Started by LYNXGUY, June 27, 2019, 23:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davyk

The Wii showing its strengths during lock down. MK Wii getting serious playtime and time trialling too.

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Sanddancer

The wii is a great system, i remeber winning one not long after launch in a competion from orange lol. But it does have a lot of rubbish on it thats why i tried to keep my collection fairly small and to what i think is a decent game to play.. here is a few pics of my collection.

davyk

I have trimmed my Wii Collection but it's probably still bloated. I have 87 games for it. My next biggest collection is 71 for Saturn.  But usually my console specific collections are between 30 and 50 games. So it's an outlier. It had a lengthy life and was quite popular so a large catalogue was inevitable.

There isn't much shovelware left in my collection though but I'm think it's time I made it more focussed.

Those boxed versions of games are very nice. I remember seeing them on release and thinking they would be collectable but I decided not to get them because they simply would not be played. :(

I am more about curating than just collecting now. I only collect what I will likely play.

davyk

Here's games I could remove from my Wii collection without too much bother.

*= daughters might whine but they haven't been played in years.

Angry Birds Trilogy        (found Angry Birds so over rated. It's big problem is that Worms exists)
Angry Birds Star Wars*  (nice and with 4 player options but it's still over rated)
Animal Crossing  (girls loved it but superseded now)
Bust A Move  (many better versions of this around)
Jewel Quest Trilogy (ok but best on a handheld or a PC)
Mario and Sonic Olympics*  (fun but Sega over egged the presentation and play is very load/play/load)
Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics*  (see above)
Puzzle Quest (as for Jewel Quest - this is quite a nice , tactical game though)
Raving Rabbids : Party Collection (played out - waggle mini game. Nice but past its time)
Smarty Pants* (decent quiz game but doesn't get much play now)
Sonic Allstar Racing (superseded by Sonic Racing transformed on 360)
Super Fruitfall (landfill - a freeware puzzle cashing in on the Wii launch. Was only bought for collecting purposes)
WHo Wants to be a Millionaire 2nd Ed * (OK but quite badly done at the end of the day .  The PS1 version is all you need)
Worms Battle Islands (superseded by the Collection on 360)
Zack and Wiki (charming - might actually keep this!)
Wii Music *  (a fun toy that I might keep)
Wii Chess (collector's piece but redundant really)

wyldephang

The Wii was a great console with some classic games. I enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles a lot; I abandoned my playthrough, though, and have decided to just start fresh on the Switch version since I purchased that recently. I made a lot of great memories with Wii Sports and Super Smash Bros. Brawl and hosted some fun parties with the Wii as the centerpiece and my chief source of distraction from the fact that I am indeed a general bore at parties.
- Ryan

davyk

I set the Wii up in work at a Christmas Party a few times. It was set up to do a Ski Jump Challenge with the balance board but it ended up getting a lot of attention with other games.  Wii Bowling is a true gaming classic and the M+ version is a great update to it.

It's a pity the balance board was under used. A good snowboarding game would have been a no-brainer. A 1080 upgrade would have been great. Punch Out and the EA Golf games used it too - but Punch Out is exhausting using it!!!!

davyk

Wii version of Nights was a missed opportunity. All it had to be was a cleaned up version with more levels and options for M+ and classic control. Would have been sweet.  Would have controlled great with the nunchuck too.

The gun games are still great on it. Ghost Squad, HOTD2+3 and Overkill were probably the best but the Res Evil games were great too.

davyk

So I started going through these games last night to see which ones I will dispose of:

Quote from: davyk on May 12, 2021, 14:57:58 PM
Here's games I could remove from my Wii collection without too much bother.

*= daughters might whine but they haven't been played in years.

Angry Birds Trilogy        (found Angry Birds so over rated. It's big problem is that Worms exists)
Angry Birds Star Wars*  (nice and with 4 player options but it's still over rated)
Animal Crossing  (girls loved it but superseded now)
Bust A Move  (many better versions of this around)
Jewel Quest Trilogy (ok but best on a handheld or a PC)
Mario and Sonic Olympics*  (fun but Sega over egged the presentation and play is very load/play/load)
Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics*  (see above)
Puzzle Quest (as for Jewel Quest - this is quite a nice , tactical game though)
Raving Rabbids : Party Collection (played out - waggle mini game. Nice but past its time)
Smarty Pants* (decent quiz game but doesn't get much play now)
Sonic Allstar Racing (superseded by Sonic Racing transformed on 360)
Super Fruitfall (landfill - a freeware puzzle cashing in on the Wii launch. Was only bought for collecting purposes)
WHo Wants to be a Millionaire 2nd Ed * (OK but quite badly done at the end of the day .  The PS1 version is all you need)
Worms Battle Islands (superseded by the Collection on 360)
Zack and Wiki (charming - might actually keep this!)
Wii Music *  (a fun toy that I might keep)
Wii Chess (collector's piece but redundant really)

Going to keep these:

Bust A Move.  Because it uses the motion control well to control the bubble gun it makes the game feel quite different. It's a proper Wii game if you know what I mean. It looks nice too. The menus are really cheap looking and rushed but the levels and characters have a certain amount of charm. It has an 8 player mode too!!! To has to be kept for the nonsense value of that.

Jewel Quest. Three games in one. I really like the tile matching game and the gem game too. The spot the object levels are nice but slightly compromised by the lower res. It's still nicely presented though and I found myself playing it and not wanting to stop! The Wii pointer is dampened down nicely so it isn't too twitchy and works well.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire 2.   FAR better than I remembered. It's a basic quiz game of course but presented better than I remember. And it has a couple of extra modes that aren't bad at all.

Smarty Pants. Same as above. Basic but clean presentation. And worth keeping as long the questions don't start repeating too often.

Zack and Wiki - Just too well made and charming to get rid off. A proper Wii game that uses the control scheme. I should really try and complete it.

Wii Music and Chess.  Means I have the complete "Wii" series of games. More a collecting thing than anything else.

Still have to make my mind up about the Angry Birds and Sonic Olympics games.

wyldephang

I suppose that's something I should do one day--clearing out my collection of games that I don't play anymore. As far as gaming goes, I've been living by the credo that "more is better," even if the "more" is just taking up space in my living room.
- Ryan

davyk

I was like that too. Having a good clear out from time to time is the smart thing unless you are going for complete sets of games for console - or maybe collecting some like a complete set of games in a favourite franchise or genre.

Unless you have the room it quickly becomes ridiculous.

davyk

Well. I played the Mario & Sonic / Angry Birds games and I've decided to keep them. They are way better than I remembered. Star Wars Angry Birds is a hoot in multi-player. It's just a shame the original Trilogy disc doesn't have MP but it's still entertaining.

Mario/Sonic games are still pretty good entertainment. MP is a must though. I ditched the London games one as it was a dirge but these 2 are more streamlined and enjoyable than I remember.

davyk

Returned to Monkey Ball on Wii this week. I have been playing the remake on Switch and it's been interesting comparing them. The remake's levels have been adjusted to account for the move to analogue control. One version isn't easier than the other though. Both games get terrifying hard once you get the first few worlds behind you. Both versions also suffer from the camera over which the player has no control. It would be possible on Wii with nunchuck and on Switch with the second stick - but it hasn't been implemented. It isn't a game breaker though.

I have been surprised how well my muscle memory of using motion control was retained on the Wii version but it's still damn tough once you hit world 5. It's such a shame that all of the music didn't make it over to Switch....the original's soundtrack is far better.

I'm trying to 1 credit clear each world on the Wii version which you have to do to unlock the final two worlds....5 down and 3 to go but I think it will be some time before I achieve that. Worlds 6,7 and 8 are a nightmare.

On Switch you only have to complete the first 8 worlds to unlock the 2 later ones - you don't have to do each world on one credit - so it's a bit friendlier that way. The Switch version also has the bonus of unlocking Sonic as a playable character which has the bananas swapped for rings. Very nice feature - but I have yet to unlock that on Switch...tough game. :)

davyk

Quote from: TrekMD on August 30, 2020, 15:58:48 PM
Has anyone seen this? 

At first I thought "Why?" but then I realised that having the Wii Homebrew Channel +VC + WiiWare on a handheld would be a nice thing to have. However the work involved is hair raising to say the least!!  :)
Squeezing it into a GB case provides the chef's kiss but really ....  one for the hardcore construction hobbyist!!