Nintendo Wii Anyone ???

Started by LYNXGUY, June 27, 2019, 23:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LYNXGUY

I have 2 Nintendo Wii consoles and I love them and I have 32 games however I wished they would have been able to play DVDs and Music CDs. . . . . . .
ATARI - The way gaming ought to be. . . . . . .

TrekMD

I never got a Wii.  I think Zap has one, though.  Maybe he can chime in. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

I have a Wii console, was a great system in its day.

Can't say I know where mine is these days, think its in the Wii U box and the Wii U is the the Switch box lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

LYNXGUY

To bad the Wii can't play DVDs and CDs but I guess they wanted to keep the console more affordable but I still enjoy playing it almost every day. . . . . . .
ATARI - The way gaming ought to be. . . . . . .

TrekMD

At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

davyk

The Wii can be softmodded so you can install the Homebrew Channel. This lets you install emulators , enjoy region free gaming (Wii and GC) and I believe there's a CD/DVD player app you can install too. Well worth a google.

I'm quite the Wii fan actually. I have a pretty big collection. Will see if I have pictures. I believe it is a highly misunderstood console as once you look past the waggle games there is a really solid, original library of games to enjoy.

davyk

Pics of my Wii Collection then...happy to answer any queries. These pics may be slightly out of date...

Some great stuff here - Punch Out is a great update - with trad controls as an option but with nunchuck and wiimote to work a sweat up AND a balance board option for an even more intense workout!!
WarioLand is a gorgeous looking game. The controls are a bit contrived but the charm more than makes up for it.
My daughters played Animal Crossing for AGES!!

2D platforming was very good on Wii

The Mario franchise may appear twee to many but these are rock solid entertaining games. Mario Galaxy has to be in the frame for game of that generation. A quite superb showcase of Nintendo's inventiveness.  Sports Mix is just OK-ish - but it's great for multi-player.  I have since picked up the Wii update of Mario Tennis and it is excellent too. It got some criticism about the controls but I have no problems with it.

Res Evil - 2 of these are light gun games - a genre that is excellent on Wii. The new control scheme on RE4 with wiimote + nunchuck is superb and if the Wii had more power could have redefined the way to play FPS games on consoles.

These FPS games are well done and but for the lack in grunt could have stole that generation due to that control scheme.

Mario Olympics games - avoid the London one which has a tedious board game that gets in the way of the play. The others are good but not as slick as they could have been. The Winter one is probably the best.

Great example of waggle control - if only more games used the new control scheme this way...

Most non-Nintendo mimi game waggle compilations are shovelware on Wii - hence its bad reputation with many  - but the Carnival series was OK. The original is still the best of these though. I have since offloaded all 3 of these.

The much missed light gun game - these are all great fun.

Mini game compilations the way they should be done.  Wii Music is only a child's toy but the drum mode using the balance board for pedals is very entertaining and challenging getting all 4 limbs to work in concert.

Wii Sports Resort with M+ is simply superb. It's what the original Wii Sports should have been perhaps. An absolute riot in multiplayer - up to 4 versus and co-op canoeing!

Brain Games - Smarty Pants is a good quiz game and Big Brain academy is better than you would think with some really challenging and competitive 2 player versus modes. The rest are disposable.

De Blob is overrated in my book - it got a multi-console release and I don't know why. Trauma Center is another great use of the Wii controls.

Puzzle Games. Tetris Party is my "best version ever" becasue of the enormous amount of modes that support 4 players and 2 v 2 in some cases too. Some really different games based tetris rules in here and they are all excellent.

Ignore Just Dance - my daughters were into that. btw it is still going - Wii got a 2019 version!!! Pikmin is definitive on Wii due to the enhanced controls.

Sonic Racing was solid on Wii. Colours was OK - that was traded in. As was DJ Hero 1 & 2. However DJ hero was great on Wii and really solid. I just needed the space. The Wii version had an exclusive roadie battle mode for 2 vs 2 with the 2 roadies using a DS with a downloaded mini game that affected the game play.

Shooting - Top notch selection here. Geometry Wars is excellent on Wii - with a new control scheme and old school twin stick is supported too if you have a classic controller. It's half way between GW2 and GW3 on XBL.  Blast Works didn't really do it for me but it has its fans.

More premium 3rd party games here. The Tatsunoko fighting game came with a beautiful themed fight stick. The Namco museum isn't worth getting but the rest are solid.

Bit Trip Complete is superb here - all the WiiWare games on one disc with extra modes thrown in. Tiger Woods on Wii was superior - you don't have the same HD visuals - but you get all courses unlocked - no payment needed. The controls can be adjusted from casual Wii Sports right up to simulation mode using the balance board making it hard to even hit the damn ball. Plus there's a Frisbee Golf mode. Excellent.

Let's Tap is a little piece of Sega Genius - the best game on the disc is Tap Runner - a 4 player obstacle course race with a unique control scheme that involves placing the wiimote on a cardboard box (tissue box for example) and tapping the box - with 2 different tap hardness levels detected for running and jumping. Hilarious and inspired - could have been a full game. I have 4 branded Let's Tap boxes! You got 2 of them with the Deluxe Edition. I picked up another copy for buttons out of the bargain bin.

Board Game Stuff. Boom Street plays like Monopoly on steroids - no mini games - just a really solid strategy game with share dealing that really adds a level of strategy to the basic game.  It has a very odd presentation which is a blend of the Mario and Dragon Quest universes but it is a very slick and polished game.

Pacman Party is really solid and tactical too - better than the Mario Party games that are more luck based albeit entertaining.

More solid 3rd party games. Excitetruck is a blast. Muramasa is gorgeous. Raving Rabbids is minigames but a solid collection of 3 previously released games on 1 disc.

More Tiger Woods - it got more refined with each release. Angry Birds and Wii is a great match with the superior control scheme.   Wing Island is a Pilotwings style game with missions. Highly enjoyable though the cutesy presentation might put some off.  Virtua Tennis 4 is OK - it jumped the shark at No.2 in my opinion. I'd give this a miss. and play VT3 on 360.

Guitar Hero - rock solid on Wii.

davyk

My Wii collection has since been trimmed. The GH games are gone with DJH - just too much space taken up with the controllers. 

Also gone : The Carnival games
The Monopoly game (pointless and Monopoly Streets is incredibly annoying)
Some of the shovelware quiz games - Millionaire etc.
Mushroom Men Spore Wars - very good game - just not my cup of tea. A solid and novel 3D puzzle platformer but 100%-ing Galaxy had me bloated on platforming.
Monster Hunter Tri - very good but again not my thing - an action RPG that just needed too much time invested.
Sonic Colors and 2 of the Sonic sports game gone. Call of Duty gone. (Kept The Conduit 1&2 as they are Wii exclusive for collection purposes).
Virtua Tennis 4 gone. Was crap on 360 too - sticking 1 & 2 on Dreamcast and 3 on 360.
de Blob 1 & 2 gone - just couldn't see any enjoyment in running around painting things.
Namco Museum Remix - same tired retro Namco ROMs with some 3D remakes with waggle control that weren't worth spending more than 20 mins with.
Blast Works - a 2D shooter that I just found incredibly boring to play.
Paper Mario - a beautiful game but the RPG play and turn based combat just put me off. Not my thing.
Metroid 3 - got the Metroid Trilogy to replace it but I have yet to spend any time on it!!

I have picked up a few games too but my collection is more or less how I want it now.

TrekMD

Very nice collection you have there!

davyk

The Tatsunoko stick boxed. :)

Getting it out....was playing some 1942 with this stick (the Wii got a great VC port of this) and the buttons started to not work so I have upgraded them to Sanwa buttons of the same colour. Easy to swap out with no soldering required.

Shadowrunner

Great collection! I have a few games but nothing like that.

Garou

I have a Wii, I love the Wii. It got the whole family playing, it's simply great.

TrekMD

Cool.  I never got the system but it does seem to be plenty fun.

davyk

It is still a great same room MP console - maybe still the best.

zapiy

I have to agree, at the heights of this consoles popularity I’d say I was the best multiplayer console ever. Then the switch landed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC