Lets Compare: Moon Patrol

Started by TL, November 03, 2012, 14:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthinice

That makes sense. I wish Nintendo followed that rule.

TrekMD

The video comparison has been updated!  Here is the new version for your enjoyment!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

sloan

Moon Patrol is a game that should have seen an update on Jaguar, much like Tempest and Breakout. Would have been great on the Jag.

onthinice

TrekMD

Quote from: "sloan"Moon Patrol is a game that should have seen an update on Jaguar, much like Tempest and Breakout. Would have been great on the Jag.

Yes, it would have indeed been cool to see an update for the Jaguar.  Moon Patrol 2000! 

DZ-Jay

I just caught up with this thread, and watched the video.

My vote goes to the Commodore 64, followed by the Atari VCS.

The ColecoVision could have done better, it looks and sounds good; but the gameplay is slow, which makes it lose some of that high-energy arcade feel.  You also can tell that the game engine slows down as the screen fills up with baddies--even the music slows down! (And the flicker! Oh, the flicker!)

The Atari VCS, strange enough, manages to retain all the fast-pace and frantic excitement of the arcade, even with the cheesiest graphics.  I can imagine 8 year-old me playing it back in the day, and it would have made me feel completely satisfied in the port, and the envy of others.  (For the record, I never had a VCS, which colours my perception of it, but some games really impressed me very much.  This would have been one of them.)

The Apple ][ looks pretty good, but it is much too flickery and a bit slow paced.

Some of the others were so lethargic, or had sounds so annoying, that I think I would have thrown the joystick at the TV after playing it for just a couple of minutes.

One thing I missed in the video was the Intellivision version.  Of course, there was never an official one, but Space Patrol replicates much of the elements of the original arcade, including the high-speed frantic action, music, and smooth parallax scrolling.

Good efforts all around! :)

dZ.

DZ-Jay

Doh! I just saw that Space Patrol was indeed posted.  That's what I get for replying without reading the full thread, sorry.

DZ-Jay

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "sloan"Also of note: I think I read once that the Intellivision was derived from the Spectrum, and the colour pallets are definitely similar between those two.

The Spectrum came out several years after the Intellivision and has very different architecture so I think you might be getting mixed up.

In fact, the Intellivision's microprocessor (a true 16-bit CPU!) was based on the PDP-11 architecture.  Just a bit of random trivia. :)

TrekMD

Quote from: "DZ-Jay"Doh! I just saw that Space Patrol was indeed posted.  That's what I get for replying without reading the full thread, sorry.
Yes, Space Patrol was added on the updated video.  It is a superb version also!  Insofar as the ColecoVision version...Opcode games is looking to remedy the issues with it by creating a Super Game Module version of the game.  :)

TrekMD

Here is a new video comparing various ports of Moon Patrol...