Latest Retro Purchases (Games or Hardware)

Started by zapiy, October 21, 2011, 08:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Lorfarius"I did pick up one of these last week:

Cool! What's the picture quality like on laser discs, somewhere between a VHS and a DVD?

Lorfarius

Depends on the player but just a bit below DVD. The best part is the artwork and foldouts you get, they practically write small novels on some of them for extra features!

TrekMD

That looks awesome!  And the DS9 artwork on that looks fantastic!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Lorfarius

I'm half tempted to stick it on the wall it looks that good!

WiggyDiggyPoo

Laserdisc - The LP of the video world  :113:

Lorfarius

Been getting a few LDs through the post, fav so far has been the original Star Wars. The boxset looks amazing with a neat silver trim:

Sadly Han doesn't shoot first  :(

TrekMD

That's awesome!  What version of the movies does that have?  Just how changed from the originals?  I keep hoping Disney will release cleaned up versions of the originals that are just that.  Cleaned up.

Lorfarius

The ones Lucas botched with his crappy re-special effects :( Jabba tail stepping etc.

TrekMD

Well, even those versions have been further modified on future releases! 

llayboy

Aww would love to get a laserdisc player. How much did that set you back?

Lorfarius

The player was £100 but you can pay up to £200 if you go for a high end one.  Only worth paying out if it's PAL/NTSC these days though.

llayboy

Yea definitely no point in getting a PAL only player. I bet the NTSC library is bigger anyways

Lorfarius

Not sure but you can get them so easily over here, films usually cost a coupe of quid.

kidpanda

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "Lorfarius"I did pick up one of these last week:

Cool! What's the picture quality like on laser discs, somewhere between a VHS and a DVD?

Most of the audio is uncompressed which for it's time was stunning. You know when you watch a DVD and an explosion bottoms out or sounds crunched? Yea on a LD it's full band spectrum, nowadays Blu Rays have the sme uncompressed audio, but for the longest LD was the way to go.

TrekMD

Here are my arrivals for this past week.  As you can see, I just received the latest Jaguar homebrew by Der Luchs.  :)

[align=center:3ady5pfs]

[/align:3ady5pfs]