New Atari 7800 Hombrew - Rikki & Vikki

Started by TrekMD, December 15, 2018, 19:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

OK, here is something that came out of left field by AA member TailChao.  This is a new title for the Atari 7800 called Rikki & Vikki (which is also coming to Steam).  This is an amazing looking AND sounding game for the 7800.  Don't believe me?  Check out the video.  Here is their post from AA.

An unexpected visit from the Misery Dragon has left Rikki & Vikki with two less children and significantly more inconvenience. Only by mastering a multitude of problematic puzzles can they reach the core of Misery's secret base and rescue the kinder.

Rikki & Vikki is a new puzzle action hybrid available for Microsoft Windows on December 26, 2018 and the Atari 7800 ProSystem on January 14, 2019. You can learn more on the Official Website and I'll keep this first post updated. Or, why not just watch the trailer - right here!

Enjoy the music? It's by RushJet1. All game footage above was captured live from a real Atari 7800 ProSystem. We'll have photos and more details on the complete package after the Microsoft Windows version's release.

Preemptive F.A.Q.
Feel free to ask questions in this thread, I'll do my best to respond in a timely manner. But let's get some of the expected ones out of the way here...

Q : Is this a one or two player game?
A : It's both. You can play as Rikki Alone, Vikki Alone, or Rikki & Vikki Together. The single player modes (Rikki or Vikki Alone) are mostly identical, but the cooperative two player mode is a completely different adventure.

Q : How much does Rikki & Vikki cost?
A : The Atari 7800 version is $59.99 plus shipping and handling.

Q : Are both NTSC (US, 60Hz) and PAL (EU, 50Hz) consoles supported?
A : Yes, the game natively supports both regions and features workarounds for the audio mixing discrepancies between them.

Q : Does Rikki & Vikki use expansion audio?
A : Yes, each cartridge includes an audio processor were calling the BupChip. This is responsible for generating the game's music and consists of a microcontroller running a modified version of BupBoop 1.2.2cz. The music you hear in the trailer is using this system.

Q : 6 MEGA-POWER?
A : Yes, 4 MEGA-POWER (512KB) of game data plus 2 MEGA-POWER (256KB) of music data.

Q : Are the XM and High Score Cartridge supported?
A : No.

Q : What are the differences between the Microsoft Windows and Atari 7800 versions?
A : They're mostly in price and aesthetic, the game content is identical. Here's a rundown

Microsoft Windows
Costs $9.99.
Progress and High Scores are saved.
Music is in Stereo.
Supports Steam Achievements.
Supports Performance Adjustments.
Atari 7800 ProSystem
Costs $59.99 plus shipping.
Includes a sturdy box, cartridge, and Misery Land tour guide with two complimentary tickets.
Progress and High Scores aren't saved.
Music is in Mono.

Q : Will a standalone ROM Binary be available for purchase?
A : No, Rikki & Vikki's cartridge uses custom hardware which, along with the Microsoft Windows version's existence, make this irrelevant. However, I've released the following which would allow you to develop your own games using or building upon this design.

BupSystem : Atari 7800 emulator written for Rikki & Vikki, the core of which is used in the Windows version.
BupBoop : Software synthesizer which runs on the BupChip.
Souper : Memory mapper used by Rikki & Vikki.

Q : Is there a reason the Atari 7800 version is shipping later?
A : Yes, so we have time to handle the print materials (box, pamphlet, etc.).

Q : How many copies are being produced?

A : There will be 550 copies of the Atari 7800 version available for purchase and infinite copies of the Microsoft Windows version.

Q : Will the game be available on other platforms in the future?
A : Perhaps, this mostly depends on the sales of the Microsoft Windows version.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

TrekMD

It sure is.  Hard to believe this is the 7800!  But this is what happens when resources are allocated to the cart like Nintendo did for the NES. 

Greyfox

OMG! that looks insane, I'm amazing at how action arcade the game looks, the 7800 in the right hands can do incredible games, fantastic stuff this.

TrekMD

zapiy

Looks amazing I must say, kudos to the devs.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

It's hard to believe this is working on hardware that's age is now 31 years old.

TrekMD

Sure is but, as I said before, this is what happens when the effort is made and nothing is held back.  The cart has special hardware for sound that makes the music and sound effects fantastic.  If only Atari had done stuff like this back in the day!

TrekMD

TrekMD

TrekMD

For anyone interested, this is now available for ordering.

TrekMD

This is selling very well.  Already 240 copies of the first 500 run have been sold!

zapiy

It was always going to sell well mate, just look at it.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

No surprise there but even the guys behind it are surprised at how fast these are going!

zapiy

They shouldn't be, its a class creation all round.