Starpath's The Official Frogger

Started by TrekMD, December 01, 2018, 21:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

So, I've been listening to podcasters talk about this game and they all say the same thing, that this version of Frogger for the 2600 is only "a little" better than the Parker Brothers version.  I'm not sure what they are looking at when they look at this game and play it because it is more than just "a little" better from my perspective.  I figured I'd start a thread about it to see what others think.  Here are two images and videos of the games:

Parker Brothers Frogger

Starpath Frogger

Some of the visual differences I see:
1.  Most sprites are made using two colors in the Starpath version.  Parker Brothers only used single color sprites.
2.  There is more detail in all the vehicles in the Starpath version.  The cars have tires that are different in color than the car body.  Even the trucks have two colors. When the game plays, there's animation in the treads for the bulldozers also, something that is entirely missing on the Parker Brothers version.
3.  There is more detail in the grass and the river characters.  The riverbed is done in two colors.  The logs have more detail and even two shades of brown.  The turtles look more like turtles as they have a recognizable head and their legs are in a different color.  These are also animated as the turtles swim along the river.  In the Parker version they are nothing more than ovals.  The alligator is more detailed as well in the Starpath version.
4. The frog has animation when it moves in the Starpath version. It even has eyes (or eye holes), something lacking in the Parker version. 

Besides the visual differences there are these:
1.  The Starpath version is complete as it includes the otter.  Not even the just released Froggie for the 7800 contains the otter and there is no other home version that does.
2.  There is music through the entire game, again something the Parker Brothers version is missing and many home version do as well.
3.  The sound effects are more arcade accurate on the Starpath version as well.

So, are these just small differences that would make the Starpath version just "a little" better?  Or am I missing something. Even the Video Game Critic, who normally is pretty hard on games he reviews, says the Starpath version blows the Parker Brother out of the water.  To me Starpath created what is one of the best home versions of the game.  I'm not saying that the Parker Brothers version is bad, because it isn't.  It plays quite well but Starpath did a great job with their version and created a superior version. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

There is a huge difference, refined graphics for a start, nicer pixels, more colourful.. Not sure what people are seeing to say there is little difference.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Saturn

TrekMD

Well, that was my impression as well so not sure why I've heard three different podcasters downplay it by saying that the Starpath version is only a little bit better than the Parker Bros.  And that is exactly what they've said, all three of them!

zapiy

Well I would like them to come on here and explain what makes them say that. I am simply not seeing it like they are.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

walter_j64bit

I have a Starpath supercharger and I'm able to play "The Official Frogger" I can say it's different from the Parker Brothers Frogger like night and day different. I see most you here have Jags it's like trying to compare Cybermorph 1MB ver. to Battlemorph. 

TrekMD

Glad to see you also agree, Walter.  I still don't understand why anyone would say that the two versions are just a little different. 

Spector

I've got both a cuttle cart (which is a modern supercharger) and the Harmony cart which plays the games, and I played them back to back again this week. There is no real comparison. The supercharger version plays a LOT better as well as obviously looking better. It basically makes the original redundant, and even gives the great Colecovision version a run for its money.
DEATH TO SUGAR

TrekMD

It gives many other version a run for their money.  It has been my most favorite version to play for decades now!  LOL 

DeadVoivod

TrekMD

By chance I found someone who made a video of this Starpath version of Frogger and did a side by side comparison between the two versions.  He does acknowledge that the Starpath version is better.  Funny enough, the video was posted only a couple of months after the last post here.  ;)

davyk

It's testament to the 2600 that the only difference between 2600 cart games and supercharger games is RAM. The Atari was capable of rather nice graphics but the 128byte RAM on the console hampered what could be done. RAM and ROM was very expensive back then.

TrekMD

That's very true.  Memory was not cheap then and it really wasn't cheap until many years later.  But, as you say, it is amazing the difference RAM made to these games. 

davyk

The Parker Bros version is a minor miracle in itself. The console was designed to play Tank, Pong, Breakout and a few other similar games. Imagine what modern systems would be like if they were pushed as hard. :)

TrekMD

Adding this video that looks at both versions...