Analogue Mega SG

Started by Shadowrunner, October 17, 2018, 20:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Time for the Genesis/MD to get a brand new FPGA console!

https://www.analogue.co/

Looks great and it has the connector built in to connect an original Sega CD system to it. Also comes with a Master System adapter and you can buy other adapters to play pretty much every other Sega cartridge including Game Gear games. Only thing missing seems to be 32X support.

TrekMD

I saw something about this yesterday but I've not had a chance to read it.  It appears to be a nice system.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

It does look really nice, but at $189.99 I don't think I will be buying.

TrekMD

I did some reading on it.  It pretty much is a replacement for an original Genesis.  You can play any cartridge on it and it just connects to a modern TV through HDMI.  I do agree that the price tag is a bit high.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

AmigaJay

I dont get these simple fpga systems, 190 dollars for an ugly piece of plastic that needs the original cart to play, id rather have the much cheaper original hardware and play through scart or via a scart to hdmi convertor if your new tv doesnt have scart.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Shadowrunner

I don't think it's ugly, but it's too much money considering I don't need it. I still have two CRT TVs and multiple Genesis systems. Even if I didn't have the CRTs it would be much cheaper to buy an upscaler or convertor that would allow me to use all my old consoles with a modern TV than buy all these individual FPGA systems.

The one thing I really like about this is the Game Gear support. Not sure if there's any other way to play them on a TV without modding a GG system.

ArcadeAction

I assume the market for these are people who weren't around when these classic systems came out, and they want to connect them to an HDMI TV. Since this market may not have experienced CRT technology they might feel there are no drawbacks with this solution.

For me, personally, outputting to HDMI from a classic game console is just not what I want to do.

Last week, I bought a complete GEN 1 HD Graphics Sega Genesis (Mega Drive) with original controller for $15USD at a retro game store. It came with the cables to connect it and it works fine. I had never owned a Genesis/Mega Drive back in the day, although did rent one when they first came out with Altered Beast. Playing through Sonic for the first time is a lot of fun. I played a good bit of Sega Master System. For me, I think all the negative ads Sega did towards Nintendo really turned me off back in the day. I enjoyed my Nintendo and didn't like a company telling me my original NES was bad. When Castlevania III came out, and Super Mario Bros 3 came out, buying a Genesis was a tough sell for me also. Now in this time, without bias, it's fun to experience more of the Genesis/Mega Drive library because there are some really good games. The feeling of the Genesis/Mega Drive is different than the SuperNES as there is a sense of smoothness of scrolling and fast motion that is not usually a part of SuperNES games.