Playstation Classic Announced

Started by Shadowrunner, September 19, 2018, 14:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Well it took a while but they are really trying to clear these out now!

Not sure what these are selling for internationally but locally Best Buy is selling them for $29.99 and The Source has them at $19.99! I might actually get one now.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

OK guys, these are selling for $20 at Target.  Worth the $20?!?!?

ArcadeAction

I picked one up for about $25 shipped. I played it one time. Honestly, I found the Playstation graphics look terrible on an HD television. Really just absolutely awful. Washed out and the polygon edges do not look nice upscaled. Video intros on a variety of games have extreme pixel artifacts. As far as a collector item, it looks nice sitting on a shelf and perhaps you can use the USB controllers for use on a computer or some other system. All I could think of while playing was "I want to play an original Playstation instead."

If this would have simply had component out so you could play it on a CRT television it would have been 8x times better. It really would have. I'm a CRT die hard though, and essentially stopped watching TV in 2008 when the broadcast changed as I highly dislike flat panel displays as the angle of viewing is bad, and black levels are bad. I know they are getting much better now, but the TV technology era from 2008 to 2016 or so was just not good I thought.

Quote from: TrekMD on July 17, 2019, 00:56:48 AM
OK guys, these are selling for $20 at Target.  Worth the $20?!?!?

TrekMD

Sounds like it may not be worth even the $20?  I can't believe they were selling them for $60 originally!

ArcadeAction

A friend of mine also has one. We were literally using the box as a door stop to hold the door to his game room open when moving some video arcade and pinball games in and out. So it did get some usage.

I thought the game play was ok, I guess it really is that the graphics don't transfer well to an HD television. I can't really blame Sony for that. It's just a product that doesn't work on today's displays. Again, let us connect it to a CRT and I think 85% of my issues would go away and it would be a much more pleasant experience, especially with all the mods that are available for the system.

Maybe if these classic series of consoles would work on a CRT it would also increase demand for them and reduce the waste in landfills.

Quote from: TrekMD on July 17, 2019, 02:39:08 AM
Sounds like it may not be worth even the $20?  I can't believe they were selling them for $60 originally!

DeadVoivod

So far I have around 10.000 games on mine, using RetroArch, and with the newest 1.7.7 release it's quite stable, before I got a lot of freezing when closing content. I'm happy with it, not playing so many PSX games anyways, concentrated more on even more retro.

dean.reef

I don’t understand how any of these “mini systems”sell??my understanding is it’s just emulation,there’s plenty of emulators out there for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeadVoivod

Yeah, but you can hook it up to the beamer or TV via HDMI, no need to plug a laptop to it. Plus I only own one, not buying every single "mini" console released.

ArcadeAction

Sounds like you have yours set up nicely and it probably works great for a wide variety of games you have on it. The Playstation controllers are really nice controllers to use. I may look into modifying mine in the future. I have an HDMI widescreen CRT and I'm going to try it on that again to see how the graphics compare with my earlier testing on an LCD style TV.

Quote from: DeadVoivod on July 17, 2019, 04:22:27 AM
So far I have around 10.000 games on mine, using RetroArch, and with the newest 1.7.7 release it's quite stable, before I got a lot of freezing when closing content. I'm happy with it, not playing so many PSX games anyways, concentrated more on even more retro.

Saturn

Thanks for the detailed info @ArcadeAction. I definitely won't be getting one..

TrekMD

They are no longer on sale for $20.  So I wouldn't bother to get one now.

TrekMD

OK, here is a video with another hack for this system: