Why do you keep retroing?

Started by zapiy, September 18, 2018, 09:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Simple question, why do you keep retroing? Keep collecting or playing these retro games and systems.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

DeadVoivod

Good question. Probably mostly nostalgia, and the ever-going love with those games. And for me, like you probably know as I sold loads of my hardware, it's more the games collecting, making of course the restriction to play all the games in emulators instead of the real machines, but it takes less place, and the fun is still the same, at least for me.

Space in the house is more limited once you're having a woman living together with you ;)

guest6292

Deffinately nostalgia! Plus games nowadays just seem to be all about the micro transactions, I miss buying a game, putting it in and just playing, no installing, no micro trans, you just got the full game

AmigaJay

Cause most new games are buggy, new updating, don’t contain all the full game you need to buy extra characters etc , hardware needs updating, painful experience to play on a modern console!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TrekMD

Nostalgia plays into it but one major factors is the fact that you can mostly turn on the system with cart or CD and start to play.  No updates to deal with, like in modern systems. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

guest6292

Also playing retro games is very accessible now with emulators (quite controversial especially with nintendo) I have various emu laters on my phone and can play them prett6 much anywhere

TrekMD

Emulation is indeed an easy way to play retro.  There are those who consider it heresy, though.  I consider it practical, particularly given how old some of the systems are.  Once they all crap out, the only way to play the games is to use emulation.

DeadVoivod

Quote from: TrekMD on September 20, 2018, 12:27:22 PMThere are those who consider it heresy, though.
Fine, but it's not that I didn't own a LOT of the systems myself, but talking about being practical these days.

People are getting older, and space in the house is sometimes more important for other stuff. Emulators are just convenient and the last option. Just imagine where we would be without emulation?

TrekMD

Agreed!  But it's been amazing to see comments from some people on emulation.  You'd think someone was being murdered!

zapiy

Nothing wrong with Emulators, to me it's not retro in a retro sense, those that just use emulators and nothing else and I'm including owning old systems and games are not really retro people. They are just people who like to play old games on modern systems.

Is that controversial?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest6292

Hmmm, don't think you can label all people that just use emulators as not pure retro lovers, I unfortunately as I imagine with a lot people, not everyone keeps hold of their old consoles, I have a few of mine (dreamcast and n64) but no longer have my mega drive, ps1, ps2, original Xbox, so the emulators let me go back and play my favourite games from my childhood

zapiy

No, not labelling everyone that way but if that person does not own ONE single retro item and only uses emulators then they are not really retro in my mind.

DeadVoivod

Quote from: TrekMD on September 20, 2018, 13:50:06 PM
Agreed!  But it's been amazing to see comments from some people on emulation.  You'd think someone was being murdered!
;D

Cryptic33

A bloody good question and one I kind of ask myself from time to time. The whole retro principal is to access consoles and games we never for chance to years ago. Of course there is a huge nostalgia factor also and the love of certain games that are now accessible is a big magnet. For me, it has been a mission and a very rewarding one. Every man needs a hobby and my Jaguar, in particular, is mine. My final mission will be to get a replica arcade cabinet that lets me play Crystal Castles like I did in the 80’s. There is no escaping the magic of that era, it is everywhere and the subject of many films over the decades. So, if we can’t escape, we might as well be part of it 😀
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Vadergb

For me it's nostalgia and also I enjoy playing on systems I didn't have as a kid. I love it when muscle memory kicks for a game I haven't played for years.

I prefer playing on real hardware including using CRTs but I will drop into emulation when it doesn't effect the experience.