Jag Doom st.bar offset

Started by Saturn, November 22, 2018, 23:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saturn

Here's a decompressed single level spliced into an original Doom dump with the .jag file extension flashed to a Skunkboard and running on real hardware. No offset on the status bar at the bottom.
Quick ref:
Level: single
Compression: none
device: Jaguar/Skunk
dump: original .jag

Here's the same file running in Project Tempest. Has a slight screen offset (?) but st.bar stays in place (as far as I can tell bc the distance between the edge and the 50 of ammo is still close)
device: PT
dump: original .jag

Here's a shot of the same decompressed level spliced into a ROM, made from JiFFI, and using a custom build from the source code. Bad offset:
device: PT
dump: custom build from source code with mods, and ROM made with JiFFI

Looks like it's either the custom build from source code and/or the process of ROM creation using JiFFI. Will test these next..

Attaching the images in case photobucket is down... again.

Saturn

Need to test:
Load a custom .abs in memory of Skunk and play a wad
Splice a full mapset into original .jag file and flash to Skunk
Use JiFFI to make a .jag file out of .abs and note any differences

Saturn

Quote from: Saturn on November 22, 2018, 23:53:49 PM
Need to test:
Load a custom .abs in memory of Skunk and play a wad

Did this and got the bad offset on real hardware via Skunkboard:
device: Skunk w/ .abs loaded into memory playing the wad
dump: custom build from source code with mods

Saturn

Need to test:
Splice a full mapset into original .jag file and flash to Skunk
Did this and the status bar is flawless in an original .jag dump with a full 12 map set spliced in and flashed to a Skunk.
Level: 12 map hack
Compression: all
device: Flashed to Skunk
dump: orig .jag file after splice

Saturn

Need to test:
Use JiFFI to make a .jag file out of .abs and note any differences

Did this and converted to .J64 and .ROM files. Loaded the .J64 into PT by opening the 'all files' drop window and it played with a flawless status bar. Flashed the .ROM file to Skunk and the st bar is good there too.
Level: original full game
Compression: all
device: Skunk w/ JiFFI'ed ROM flashed
dump: from original .jag file

So, definitely not JiFFI. Need to find all the references to the st.bar in the source now and manipulate 'em 8)

zapiy

You will need to explain more what your doing mate, i'm lost lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Saturn

Hi zapiy, some of the roms I'm making have the status bar on bottom offset slightly. This just came up via a bunch of PMs and with the process all of this goes through, I was trying to narrow it down to a few things. I troubleshot them out in real time yesterday leaving only custom builds from the source code as the culprit (for some reason.) Now, just need to go through the source and find out why and/or just put in an offset to compensate. If possible.
This didn't start happening until very recently which is the same time I started hacking the source but I didn't want to rule anything out.
Also, pre source code hacking, some of the roms burnt to cart have a slight offset as well. I hadn't noticed this but started checking yesterday so a new problem is there to search out. So far, I can only assume it's bc they were burned in your neck of the woods, probably on a PAL setup and that could have something to do with it. Not certain on any level but it's a place to start. Will tackle that later if we can fix the initial offset.
I'd posted this and sent links to others so they could see what I was doing instead of separately PMing the same info.
Now, just need to break off the (very fun) map converting long enough to dig thru the source :)

zapiy

I see the offset now, nice work fella.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Saturn

Thanks, the only way to keep it normal is to splice a hacked wad into the original dump. That's great but I'm hoping to find a way to be able to compile the source code and the use the produced custom .abs file for a better game. The increased power of the shotgun is invaluable to me now. Like having the super shotgun in Doom 2!
Makes the replay value spike when you can kill a Cacodemon in 2 shots instead of like, 50 lol.

The offset doesn't bother me personally, but if it can be closer to perfect, why not..

Saturn

Went through all 8 zillion source files and found the following to have refs to "status" and/or "bar" in one way or another. The first 4 have heavy references and variables that look promising with the most suspicion being in jagonly.c. Seems appropriate, anyway:
jagonly.c
doomdef.h
r_phase9.gas
st_main.h

st_main.c (54x refs to bar)
info.h (no val)
f_main.c
info.c
m_main.c
p_doors.c
p_inter.c
p_tick.c
p_user.c
r_local.h
wad.txt

I'll start looking in depth when time allows, at least at the 1st 4. 8)