INTELLIVISION TO RELEASE NEW FAMILY VIDEO GAME CONSOLE

Started by TrekMD, May 30, 2018, 03:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

This is quite an exciting press release from today:

Industry Veteran Tommy Tallarico Named President of Intellivision Entertainment and Joins Forces with Original Intellivision Team Members

IRVINE, CA, May 29, 2018 â€" Intellivision® Entertainment is proud to announce that it will bring the concept of SIMPLE, AFFORDABLE, FAMILY & FUN back into homes across the world with the introduction of a brand new home video game console.  The original Intellivision system brought many “firsts” to the video game industry including the first 16-bit gaming machine, the first gaming console to offer digital distribution, the first to bring speech/voice to games, the first to license professional sports leagues and organizations and the first to be a dedicated game console and home computer.  Originally released in 1979, due to its popularity it was remarkably retailed across 3 decades and quickly sold millions of units.  The new Intellivision system (name TBA) will carry on the company tradition of “firsts” with its new concept, design and approach to gaming.

Video Games Liveâ,,¢ creator and 30 year video game industry veteran Tommy Tallarico has been named President of Intellivision Entertainment as the company turns its focus on a rebranding and reimagining for the 21st century while still paying homage to its legacy roots.  “I grew up playing Intellivision with my parents and younger brother,” says Tallarico.  “It was always my favorite system because the games were cutting edge, yet fun and simple to play so our entire family could enjoy them together.  I find those important elements to generally be lacking from our industry with the current modern gaming consoles.  Our goal is to change that by focusing on bringing all age groups and levels of gamers and non-gamers together while introducing new generations of people to the legacy success of the Intellivision brand.”

Original Intellivision team members will also play important roles in the creation, development, software and design of the new platform.  Intellivision Entertainment Chairman Steve Roney and Intellivision Entertainment Vice President of Technology Bill Fisher have been involved with Intellivision since 1981.  Both Steve and Bill were programmers and designers for some of the first home video games to ever have voice/speech (Space Spartans© & B-17 Bomber©).  Other Intellivision members include original Game Design & Development Group Leader David Warhol, known for designing and producing over 25 Intellivision titles as well as designing, programming and composing for the first home console video game to ever have wall-to-wall continuous music (Thunder Castle©).  Eight year Intellivision veteran and Vice President Emily Reichbach Rosenthal will be heading up the Licensing Division, and longtime Intellivision contractor, tech guru and historian Paul Nurminen has been named Vice President of Product Development.

Details of the new console will be released on October 1, 2018 and followers can subscribe to updates at www.IntellivisionEntertainment.com.  The first 100,000 people to sign up on the website will get the exclusive opportunity to purchase a special and unique Limited Edition version of the console which will not be made available in stores.  An interactive Facebook Live event to answer questions from fans is scheduled for Thursday, May 31st at noon pacific at: www.facebook.com/IntellivisionEntertainment.  Interviews about the new console can be scheduled by contacting info@IntellivisionEntertainment.com.  In-person interviews will take place in the National Videogame Museum â€" South Hall Booth #701 during the 2018 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

I was just going to post about this. Very cool! Really looking forward to hearing more about it.

This is a little long, but it's a great interview with Tommy Tallarico done yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2nfrYKrwQg

TrekMD

Cool.  I've met Tommy at conventions.  He's a nice guy and he is someone who is trustworthy too.

Spector

They've got to change those awful controllers!!! But it's a nice sentiment bringing a forty year old name back in an industry as quickly moving as this.
DEATH TO SUGAR

zapiy

Everyone is going for it. This bubble is going to burst at this rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Shadowrunner

Lots of good info there. The following quote has me a little worried though.

QuotePerhaps more importantly, however, is what you won't see on the Intellivision:

Violent Games: "[If it's] violent, if it's not E for Everyone, then no it's not going on the console." Tallarico wants the console itself to be rated E for Everyone.
Complicated Games: "If you can't explain the game in 10 seconds, or if it needs a manual, it's not on our system."
3D Games: "There's not going to be any 3D. We're not trying to compete with Nintendo. We're not trying to build the next Zelda.... We're not going to be creating 3D worlds."

Not sure how many people will buy into it with those limitations but I guess we will see. I can understand the no 3D part, but every game needing to be rated E and so simple that you don't need a manual will surely turn people off.

TrekMD

I guess time will tell.  When I read that I had some concerns as well.  I can understand wanting to keep the games fairly simple but even mobile games have enough complexity to grab one's attention.  I guess they'll have to find the "happy medium" somehow. They will have more details in October and they will be at PRGE, so we still have to see more of what they plan.

TrekMD

This was sent to me via email today...

INTELLIVISION® TO REVEAL EXTENSIVE DETAILS OF NEW VIDEO GAME CONSOLE ON OCTOBER 20TH
Intellivision Entertainment President Tommy Tallarico to Keynote the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in Portland, OR

IRVINE, CA, September 12, 2018 - Intellivision® Entertainment is proud to announce that it will be revealing extensive details about its upcoming new family home video game console at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo on Saturday, October 20th. Intellivision president and industry veteran Tommy Tallarico headlines the show as the keynote address for the largest retro video game convention in the world. Information to be revealed includes the name, logo and branding of the new console, the hardware specs (including the revolutionary new controller), launch date, price point, online capabilities, new & unique approach to doing business in the game industry, games available at launch, partners, publishers, game licenses, marketing strategy, developer relationships and game funding, technical specifications for game developer tools, the team and advisors behind Intellivision Entertainment, special guests, game industry supporters and backers... and much more... including a FIRST LOOK at what the new console and controllers will look like (3D renders only).

Intellivision Entertainment will also be sponsoring an exclusive Blue Sky Rangers panel consisting of never before heard original Intellivision past management as well as programmers and artists to discuss the revolutionary products and video game industry "firsts" they pioneered. Six of the biggest and brightest stars of the early 80's era of Intellivision will be together again for the first time. Aside from the keynote address, Mr. Tallarico will also be presenting a separate talk explaining retro game audio creation from the 80's & 90's. All three of the Intellivision talks will be streamed LIVE and archived on the Intellivision Entertainment social media pages and website. The first 2,000 convention attendees and the first 500 keynote address attendees will receive an exclusive special limited edition Intellivision lanyard.

Intellivision Entertainment is bringing the concepts of SIMPLE, AFFORDABLE, FAMILY & FUN back into homes across the world with the introduction of their brand new home video game console. The original Intellivision system generated many "firsts" in the video game industry including the first 16-bit gaming machine, the first gaming console to offer digital distribution, the first to bring speech/voice to games, the first to license professional sports leagues and organizations and the first to create and utilize a directional pad (D-Pad) for game controls. Originally released in 1979, due to its popularity it was remarkably retailed across 3 decades and quickly sold millions of units. The new Intellivision system will carry on the company tradition of "firsts" with its new concept, design and approach to gaming.

Followers can subscribe to updates at www.IntellivisionEntertainment.com. Interviews about the new console can be scheduled by contacting info@IntellivisionEntertainment.com.

Shadowrunner

TrekMD

I'm going to PRGE, so I should be able to get information first-hand.  :)