Unofficial: A Visual History Book - Out Now...

Started by Greyfox, July 04, 2018, 14:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyfox

Hello everybody,

Many of you may know me and many of you may not, I was the creator of a couple of Atari digital publications a few years back. The Atari Gamer Magazine and the Atari ST Gamer Series found over @ https://www.greyfoxbooks.com and the AtariCrypt Atari ST Magazine

I had decided that I had given the Atari community some great product to enjoy and decided I wouldn't produce anymore Atari content in the near future, but recently had seen some products that completely fit the bill in a direction I wanted to go in for quite some time and have returned and began work on a new book publication I am very passionate about and just knew this had to be done due to the complete lack of the Atari 8-bit computer range and its incredible software, so with that I present to you all a new Atari publication in the works.

The Sales Pitch

The books premise will be to cover a huge majority of classic third-party Atari 8-bit software from such amazing software houses, like Datasoft, Broderbund, First Star Software, English Software and a selection of commercial homebrew games plus many more for the first time giving these games the exposure in a visual compendium never seen in a format of this type before. The Book will also deliver a selection of Interviews with Game designers who worked on the Atari 8-bit computers and other unannounced additions to the book that you will see when released. I will also be profiling three Atari 8-bit machines the Atari 800 - Atari 800XL and the Atari 130XE home computers with additional photography of these computers throughout the book as well as a choice selection of Atari related Peripherals. With the completed publication completed, I will be taking the product to a crowdfunding platform in order to allow this publication to become a physical book for all Atari 8-bit fans and vintage computer enthusiasts that share an interest in the Atari 8-bit Home computer. Also to help the project meet its goal I will be working very closely with http://www.rhayadercomputers.co.uk in order to create some very unique and fantastic perks to add to the book that will not be available anywhere else so there is a lot of stuff in the works for this project.

The Book Previews

When creating something like this I am all about the visuals of a product and want to give the best experience in seeing these wonderful pieces of art and code and gameplay become one, so with that each game covered in the book with include on the left a remastered image of the Box or cassette inlay artwork with a 200 word write about the game and a single screenshot of the games in action, I have chosen not include any Offical Atari-branded games in the book due to facing a possible Cease and Desist violation order against the book that could prevent the book being released and will be going through under fair usage and investigative journalism allowing this to be successful as an Unofficial Visual History of the Atari 8-bit. This was something I decided I would do after what Atari had placed against Marc Oberhäuser and his Atari related publication. So please enjoy the previews of the some of the games that will be included in the book.

How can YOU help?

With this project been a very serious undertaking, I decided who better to make this truly happen then the Atari community itself? I am looking for contributors to the book, whether it be a contributing game review of 200 words for games that will be included in the finished book and have your name credited and mentioned in the contributors section of the book, as well as an seasoned photographers with Atari hardware that would be willing to contribute photography of physical Atari hardware to be included throughout the book with full accreditation given for all imagery used. I wanted to open end this project to my fellow Atarians to help produce the best Atari 8-bit publication ever created, I'm also on the look-out for exclusive interviewees willing to share their thoughts and experiences creating for the Atari 8-bit platform, I have a few leads at the present, but the more the merrier for inclusion in the book.

I wish to personally thank you all for your time here, and hopefully we can make history with this book, I truly wish to go all out in a blaze of glory with it and with your help we can, so please get in touch with me via PM here @ Retro Video Gamer or support@atarigamer.co.uk if you can help with this project, all will be included within the book as the main contributor.

Thanks, everyone for your time

Kind regards

Darren.

Creator of the Atari Gamer Magazine Series
www.AtariGamer.co.uk
Please support the magazine today!

Shadowrunner

Good luck! I can't really help out too much but I'm definitely down for a copy when it's finished. :)

zapiy

You know I am here to help, I would like to add a review or something, i can be a published game writer then that loads claim to be lol.

Looks awesome, you have at least 4 books you can go with Darren, you have the talent, i think your scared you won't be successful, I am telling you now, you will, get the first one out and you will be laughing.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

This looks fantastic.  I can't help by providing information but I can proof read if you need the help.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

Thanks everyone , truly appreciate the support, I am 100% committed to this production and will be seeing it through if it kills me, I've had a huge amount of help with it in such a short period of time, I have a professional proofreader commissioned to make sure everything goes to plan, and with this one done, I will then finally get out the Coin-op book out too and then the world is my oyster on future books with both the RVG brand and the Greyfox Books label.

Again I can't thank you all enough 👐

Greyfox

Hello everybody,

It's been months in the making and now has come to big day, well tomorrow actually 😊. I am extremely proud to announce that the Kickstarter crowdfunding for the Atari: a Visual History start at 10am CET - 20th of April 2019

I am extremely proud of the achievement and work on this first book under the "Greyfox Books" first debut publication and especially proud to have Retro Video Gamer as one of its amazing endorsers and sponsors. I will update this post tomorrow with the link to it's page and hopefully will have some of you along for the trip with me as I venture into the the world of bringing something special to all Atari fans around the world.

I also wish to thank TrekMD and Zapiy for their fantastic contribution to the book, its means an awesome lot to me that you guys helped me on this project.

Thank you guys 👍

TrekMD

Greyfox

Thanks fella, it's a big achievement to have gotten this far. I'm sure many though it was going to be vaporware, but no..this had to get made.

TrekMD

Good, because I want to have it on my bookshelf.  :)

DeadVoivod

Looks indeed fantastic.

Is there something like this about Amiga existing? Don’t mean the compendiums, them I have. An Amiga gamer magazine would be awesome.

Greyfox

The Kickstarter project is now live , please head over and visit http://kck.st/2VWXiNo and let's make some magic!

TrekMD

Wow, the Early Bird is already gone!  That's cool!

Greyfox

TrekMD

Shadowrunner