The Sega Dreamcast Thread

Started by TL, July 25, 2012, 19:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llayboy

Not resetting you'll be playing a game and then all of a sudden you go back to the Dreamcast menu and it says "checking disk"

64bitRuss

Ok, I want to make sure I get this right so I don't waste any money. I need an expert's help on exactly what I need to play imports and the gameshark.

I have found the gameshark CDX kit that comes with a disc of some kind, and a memory card 'dongle' device as well. Now, can I get away with just buying the black memory card thing, or do I need the entire kit with the disc as well?

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "64bitRuss"Ok, I want to make sure I get this right so I don't waste any money. I need an expert's help on exactly what I need to play imports and the gameshark.

I have found the gameshark CDX kit that comes with a disc of some kind, and a memory card 'dongle' device as well. Now, can I get away with just buying the black memory card thing, or do I need the entire kit with the disc as well?

The Gameshark is what I use to play imports, and I use both the disc and the black dongle that plugs into the VMU slot. I think there is a light version that only has the CD but I'm not sure if that will work for playing imports or not. If you get the entire kit you should be good to go, but you definitely need the CD as the dongle wont do anything on it's own.

Edit: Just looked around a bit and it seems the only difference is with the Lite you have to use your own memory card to store codes, where the dongle has codes already on it. If you just want to play imports the Lite will work just fine :)

64bitRuss

Ok thanks for the advice :)

Kind of a bummer, with the Saturn the Action Replay plus sure makes it easier to play imports!

Shadowrunner

No problem :) I should also add that @Lorfarius mentioned in the chatbox one day that you can just download and burn your own disc if you don't want to buy one. Not sure how that works or where to go to find it though.

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Antiriad2097

Quote from: "Ben"That is correct, although the GameShark also works.  A free boot disc can be downloaded here: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/utopia.php

Ben linked to the downloadable Utopia boot disc on the previous page. Everything you need to download and burn the disc is at that link.

Utopia will boot most games. There's a few that it won't cope with, but you can always just download a copy of the Gameshark disc for those.

Personally, I rarely use bootdiscs. I find it easier to just download a rip of the few imports games I wanted, those usually boot on any region of system. Added bonus is it keeps my original discs minty fresh.

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Antiriad2097"
Quote from: "Ben"That is correct, although the GameShark also works.  A free boot disc can be downloaded here: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/utopia.php

Ben linked to the downloadable Utopia boot disc on the previous page. Everything you need to download and burn the disc is at that link.

64bitRuss

Any insight on the best steering wheel to get for the DC? The most promising one I've seen on ebay is probably the concept 4. But, there's a couple of different MadCatz wheels that have gear shifts, though my opinion of MadCatz over the years is fairly low quality from experience.

Someone is selling brand new V3fx wheels for around $40 shipped, but I remember having one of those for the N64 and the pedal set quit working in rather short order. However I remember the steering wheel assembly to be good and accurate. It's too bad all the best wheels are on PC these days, they have force feedback, gear shifts and big ass chairs you can buy to mount them on.

zapiy

Concept 4 is a really nice wheel.. can't comment on the others as i have never used any others.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

64bitRuss

The concept 4 looked like the best one, so I bought a CIB unit on ebay. Also bought a copy of Giga Wing and Rush 2049! I'm all in on Sega lately.

TrekMD

onthinice

Sony you tramp. I heard that Sony was going with Nintendo at the same time and now I find out they were with Sega also.

I did not know.

TrekMD

They were trying to learn from both of them to then come out with their own console!

TrekMD