Changes at RVG on Self promotion. (Youtubers)

Started by zapiy, April 16, 2018, 19:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Quote from: nosweargamer on April 18, 2018, 05:40:51 AM
Quote from: TrekMD on April 18, 2018, 03:49:46 AM
That is exactly our feeling.  No one is going to be asked to leave for posting videos of anyone on YouTube or about a book or homebrew.  We post videos all the time that are pertinent to topics or that may generate discussion, so that is not an issue. 

You are, of course, welcome to stay and continue to post but what we are asking for is to contribute also in the forum in general.  I hope that clarifies your concerns.  If not, let us know either here or by PM.  Thanks.

Kinda, but I still need clarification.

Here's what I originally heard: YouTubers, do more posting elsewhere or we are kicking you out.
Me: So now what I've done that has brought thousands of views to the site is no longer enough?

I guess I'm feeling singled out since my specialty is video. Would I be singled out if instead of making videos, I turned my videos into separate text topics? Every single video I make is a chance to start a discussion, which I figured helped forum sites and might bring a new audience. And I don't share it with everyone, only the forum sites I like and want to help. And time is not easy to come by for me. Sometimes, I only have the time to share what I worked hard to make and sometimes I don't even have time for that.

Before this change was posted, I was already feeling like I have enough burdens to handle and trying to figure out how to do a better job at that. I don't want to feel stressed visiting a forum site, but now I feel like I'm asked to do more than what I'm doing if I want to share my work.

Here's my thought: It's a mistake to single out a group of people if you want to get them more involved. With YTers, I have found that those who are in it solely for themselves, don't last long on forums like this. And just like any group, there are bad YTers and good YTers. But when you single out the whole group, you risk losing them all, plus any new members they may have brought to the forums.

Do you want more action in the forums? Here are my suggestions:
1) Encourage the leadership to start more topics themselves (Maybe you have)
2) Share more threads on social media (Maybe you have)
3) Start contests or forum games (Maybe you have)
4) Ask content creators, such as YTers and Podcasters, to plug the forums more in their stuff, and in exchange, you'll plug their stuff more on your social media accounts and such (Maybe you have, and btw, I have plugged this site before without asking for anything in return)
5) Instead of trying to push certain people to do more and possibly pushing them away in the process, ask for suggestions on how to increase activity.

The hard truth is that forums everywhere have diminished, with sites like Facebook taking their place. Every forum site I know has seen decline, some more than others. I'm old school. I like forums. That's why I try to add content to the ones I like. That's why I take some time every week to do that. If I was in it just for me, I'd probably be better served focusing on doing more on Twitter and opening an Instagram account.

But now I feel like I'm being told my work is not good enough. Somehow it's a nuisance.
I'm a retro gamer who enjoys sharing my hobby, but I feel like because I do it in video form, it's not welcome here.

Here's what I need clarification on: Does the leadership here currently view me as a nuisance or as someone who brings something of value to the forums?

This is not an anti-youtube decision, its a decision based way to many single thread updates by everyone on their channels, If for example half were active elsewhere, there would be no issue, as it currently stands, everyone posts and leaves again and that we can not just allow without dialogue and here we are.

Now let me spin some of your thoughts so you get and idea of why we are doing this, you say that your videos take you a lot of time and effort and therefore leave you little time for chit chat on forums, this is the same for us in terms of our content, like the interviews, these take hours to prep and arrange but none of those who post their videos have replied or asked these devs questions, you can't tell me from the list of devs we have interviewed no one has liked their games??

I am not asking for 100 posts a week, maybe a few here and there and then the world is ok in my eyes, lets be honest, a vibrant RVG is only going to be good for you guys as much as it is us.

How many forums like RVG allow what we have all this time? None or very few.

Yes forums are fading, and thats been a battle, facebook as its issues, I don't ever expect this place to be a hive of activity like the early days but unless we control this now, I fear we become just a place for people to advertise on with no other input.

Do we or I value you? Yes, I want you all to stay, I want you all to work with us, help us and we will help you. Participate in some chit chat. You personally are very clued up, i'm sure some of your knowledge deserves to be in the written word and not just here, you have to make your own mid up mate, I want none of you to go, I have asked for help before and none was forth coming, I thank you for your promo of us in the past and I'd love it to continue..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

wyldephang

Quote from: nosweargamer on April 18, 2018, 05:40:51 AM
But now I feel like I'm being told my work is not good enough. Somehow it's a nuisance.
I'm a retro gamer who enjoys sharing my hobby, but I feel like because I do it in video form, it's not welcome here.

Here's what I need clarification on: Does the leadership here currently view me as a nuisance or as someone who brings something of value to the forums?
My intuition says that's not at all what they are saying, NSG. It has nothing to do with the quality of your content nor the medium in which you present it (video) and, probably, more to do with the fact that YouTube videos are directing people off-site. I imagine RVG would like to promote content here at home. My understanding is that everyone here values your expertise and your terrific content. But anytime a poster leaves RVG to watch a YouTube video, the community here is in danger of shrinking a little. The ensuing comments become the YouTube channel's comments, the views their views, the subscribers their subscribers, and RVG is treated as little more than a launchpad to facilitate that exchange. If I have misunderstood the stance RVG has taken, I apologize for getting involved, but that is the way I interpret it.
- Ryan

TrekMD

No worries, wyldephang.  No need to apologize. 

NSG, you're not a nuisance.  Your content is great and you have contributed in other threads from time to time.  That's all we ask for. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Dreamcast Gamer

I am fully aware of how time consuming YouTube can be and I understand that many of you are working other jobs as well (currently, I am not working any other job), but I believe that everyone can spend at least 10-15 minutes every day in other sections of the forum.  I'd say that at least 1 or 2 non self-promotion posts everyday and only 1 self-promotion post every 2 days (even if you are uploading daily) would be just fine.  If you're going to be live streaming, posting it in the chat box might be a better idea than bumping your own thread, especially if you're posting the link just minutes before you go live.

All we ask is a little more participation elsewhere on the site.  A forum flooded with endless YouTube videos and almost no regular forum conversations doesn't look good to the guests reading the site and other members who aren't interested in watching any videos.

zapiy

Quote from: Dreamcast Gamer on April 20, 2018, 19:30:50 PM
All we ask is a little more participation elsewhere on the site.  A forum flooded with endless YouTube videos and almost no regular forum conversations doesn't look good to the guests reading the site and other members who aren't interested in watching any videos.

This basically covers the reasoning.

Thanks fella.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

ScouseMouse

I actually agree with the new rule, despite the fact I have a Youtube channel where I upload daily and so link those videos here. It's easy to say it not after the the rule change but very recently I was feeling bad about the fact I post a lot of my videos here and don't interact as much as I could.

I'll definitely be sticking around both to interact more and post some videos.

One question I have... in this thread people seem to be complaining about new threads opening up all the time for self promo and they should all be in 1 place... but as far as I'm aware there's a section of the forum called Retro Youtube Forum and I have just ONE thread where all of my videos have been posted, I assume that's what others are doing and it seems like that's exactly what the section was designed for...

Has the issue arisen because people are making new threads for each particular video and doing it on all different parts of the forum? Cos that would definitely be very annoying, but I figured the Youtube section of the forum was designed for the purpose most people use it for, and then obviously if you don't wanna watch Youtube videos you'd never go in there and thus never see any self promo.

Dreamcast Gamer

Quote from: ScouseMouse on April 21, 2018, 14:09:30 PM
One question I have... in this thread people seem to be complaining about new threads opening up all the time for self promo and they should all be in 1 place... but as far as I'm aware there's a section of the forum called Retro Youtube Forum and I have just ONE thread where all of my videos have been posted, I assume that's what others are doing and it seems like that's exactly what the section was designed for...

Has the issue arisen because people are making new threads for each particular video and doing it on all different parts of the forum? Cos that would definitely be very annoying, but I figured the Youtube section of the forum was designed for the purpose most people use it for, and then obviously if you don't wanna watch Youtube videos you'd never go in there and thus never see any self promo.
I noticed that too and I personally haven't seen much of that on RVG.  I know I've done that once because I had announced a retro gaming film I was working on (cancelled recently), but other than the odd time like that, I can't remember.  Perhaps the others can recall a time when this was an issue.

TrekMD

It's mostly been people just adding video after video with no participation anywhere else in the forum.  Glad that you'll be sticking around ScouseMouse.  All we want is an active community.  ;)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

The YouTube forum was designed that member could post their videos they create in one area.

What’s happened is over a course of a few months that was the only forum some where posting in.

Hence we needed to clarify the situation x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk