The 4 Best & Worst Video Game Mascots

Started by nosweargamer, November 27, 2017, 14:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosweargamer

Video Game Mascots interest me. The are designed to sell games, but they don't always succeed. Usually they appear in games, but not always. So I decided to take a look at the best and worst of the bunch.

Here's my choices for the four best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCLKiaAG2Ug

And here are my choices for the four worst:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQdw9zsVgSE

What are your thoughts? What mascots were the best and worst in your opinion?

TrekMD

I like your list of best mascots. To make the point about the worst ones, I had never heard of most of them.  The one exception is, of course, Captain Atari or whatever he ended up being called.  Atari had a much better potential mascot in Bentley Bear but he was underutilized!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

wyldephang

I think you've rounded off both lists quite nicely. It'd be difficult for me to distill the last 30-some years of gaming into just four mascots, but Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man definitely need to be on that list for changing the landscape of video gaming forever. Somewhere in the list of most forgettable mascots would need to be Alex Kidd. Despite being heavily pushed by Sega in the late '80s, Alex Kidd possessed nowhere near the draw power of Mario and was relegated to obscurity once Sonic debuted on the Mega Drive. I don't think he's a particularly offensive character, mind you, just terribly plain. Later Alex Kidd games seem to suffer from an apparent lack of interest on the part of the developers, as at some point, it feels like Sega legitimately stopped caring.
- Ryan

zapiy

The best ones are great apart from Bonk, not one I would have chose and the worst ones are not familiar to me also, so good choices.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC