Capcom Releasing New Street Fighter 2 SNES Carts

Started by Shadowrunner, August 31, 2017, 16:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

With the popularity of retro gaming and all the clone systems being made it was only a matter of time before big companies got involved, and Capcom is the first.

iam8bit

For $100 this can be yours. . . yeah I'm gonna pass. Cool idea but way too much money, especially for such a common game. You can buy original copies of the game on ebay for $20, and they don't come with the following warning:

QuoteWARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user. The Product is sold “as is”.  Neither iam8bit, Inc. nor Capcom Co, Ltd. make any representation or warranty, express or implied, of any kind, including any warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular use, or that the Product is safe to use, and iam8bit, Inc. or Capcom Co, Ltd. shall have no liability for damage to property or persons arising from use of the Product. Nintendo of America is in no way associated with the release of this Product.

It's been available to order since yesterday and there are still copies left out of the 5500 cart run. Perhaps if they weren't warning people about it catching on fire they would sell out quicker! I assume it will sell out though, and this will be the first of many more to come.

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

It's still up for sale on their site. If anyone does want a copy though they should buy it soon before it does sell out.

TrekMD

AmigaJay

Box is nice looking, shame about the rank cart colour, plus the fact its the American shape. Could be good for bonfire night, just play it outside for safety!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Shadowrunner

It is odd they only made NTSC carts. Just checked and it is sold out now.

JoeMusashi

Quote from: AmigaJay on September 01, 2017, 12:21:44 PM
Box is nice looking, shame about the rank cart colour, plus the fact its the American shape. Could be good for bonfire night, just play it outside for safety!

[emoji23] Quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zapiy

Why no Pal release?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Quote from: zapiy on September 06, 2017, 10:17:46 AM
Why no Pal release?

I guess no-one wants to play 50hz pal games with borders anymore!?  :P
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Lol. Lazy programmers.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

ArcadeAction

Is the "warning" perhaps just for liability reasons? The carts are likely just as reliable as the originals, or surely the repros from Asia, yes?

I'm about as big of an SF fan as anyone, but this too shall pass me by. Still they are cool though, and if worth it to someone, totally fine if they wish to go for it. A bit of an unexpected marketing move by Capcom perhaps.

I remember I sold my mint boxed SF2 SNES game in 1993 for $25. I had played the heck out of it, clearing level 7 difficulty without losing no only a match but no rounds and getting the best ending with all the characters showing at the end multiple times. I had purchased SF2 Hyper Fighting recently on August 12th, 1993 which was the release date for $69.99 USD. The next year on July 12, 1994 Super SF2 was released for the SNES. Those are the only two games I have ever preordered. That fall of 1994 I bought a 3DO just for Super SF2 Turbo. I've never stopped playing Super Turbo since, though do so on arcade now. The 3DO soundtrack is unsurpassed though and the whole SF2 music, regardless of platform is among the best in my opinion. At the California Extreme arcade expo this fall I played in the SF2 tournament and had a blast. Excellent, top level game play on hand... displaying all the many nuances that have been discovered in the game over the decades.

Initially with fighting games, it can seem to a new spectator that there isn't much but random button pressing going on. It's like viewing a foreign language on a sign. But once you learn the language and can start to tell jokes, you get a feel for it, and it becomes fun!

TrekMD

My guess that they have that posted for liability, as you note. 

Shadowrunner

Quote from: ArcadeAction on September 09, 2017, 21:21:49 PM
Is the "warning" perhaps just for liability reasons? The carts are likely just as reliable as the originals, or surely the repros from Asia, yes?

I'm about as big of an SF fan as anyone, but this too shall pass me by. Still they are cool though, and if worth it to someone, totally fine if they wish to go for it. A bit of an unexpected marketing move by Capcom perhaps.

I remember I sold my mint boxed SF2 SNES game in 1993 for $25. I had played the heck out of it, clearing level 7 difficulty without losing no only a match but no rounds and getting the best ending with all the characters showing at the end multiple times. I had purchased SF2 Hyper Fighting recently on August 12th, 1993 which was the release date for $69.99 USD. The next year on July 12, 1994 Super SF2 was released for the SNES. Those are the only two games I have ever preordered. That fall of 1994 I bought a 3DO just for Super SF2 Turbo. I've never stopped playing Super Turbo since, though do so on arcade now. The 3DO soundtrack is unsurpassed though and the whole SF2 music, regardless of platform is among the best in my opinion. At the California Extreme arcade expo this fall I played in the SF2 tournament and had a blast. Excellent, top level game play on hand... displaying all the many nuances that have been discovered in the game over the decades.

Initially with fighting games, it can seem to a new spectator that there isn't much but random button pressing going on. It's like viewing a foreign language on a sign. But once you learn the language and can start to tell jokes, you get a feel for it, and it becomes fun!

That's some great history with the game. Nice to read :)

Vadergb

Quoteplease exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby.

Lol. Pretty sure they would need to clarify what type of fire extinguisher they would need to use.

A lot of money for an "Anniversary" edition tbh.