Let's Compare - Streets Of Rage

Started by TrekMD, August 11, 2017, 22:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Streets of Rage is trilogy of a beat 'em up video games developed and published by Sega in the first half of the 1990s. The series centers on the efforts of several heroes to rid a troubled city from the rule of a crime syndicate.

The games were well-received and have been re-released many times both on compilations and as standalone titles. The dance music-influenced soundtracks of the games, scored by Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima, have received much acclaim.

History:

The three games in the series were released between 1991 and 1994. The first entry, Streets of Rage, introduces the main characters: three young former police officers (Axel, Blaze, and Adam), and Mr. X, an evil mastermind. It is the only game in the series to feature a special attack that defeats all non-boss enemies on-screen. Streets of Rage was supported by Sega's Genesis, Master System and Game Gear consoles.

The next entry in the series, Streets of Rage II, had new music (influenced by early '90s club music) from series composer Yuzo Koshiro and newcomer composer Motohiro Kawashima, more defined graphics and a bigger selection of moves. It also introduced two new characters, Eddie "Skate" Hunter, and Max Thunder (or Sammy "Skate" Hunter and Max Hatchett in some regions). Like the original title, Streets of Rage II was playable on Sega's Genesis, Master System and Game Gear.

The final entry to the Streets of Rage series, Streets of Rage 3 was less well-received than its predecessors. Despite some enhancements, it has been seen as very similar to Streets of Rage II. This entry to the series added a more complex storyline, told using cutscenes. The Western version's plot was largely censored and its difficulty significantly increased. The music, again composed by Koshiro and Kawashima, was also criticized for being radically different to the music from the first two games. Unlike the two foregoing titles, Streets of Rage 3 was available only on the Genesis console.

All three titles have been re-released on numerous platforms and compilations, including Sonic Gems Collection and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, and on the Wii's Virtual Console, Xbox Live Arcade.

Source:  Wikipedia

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

Here is another video looking at the various versions of this game...

Spacedeck

I wasn't aware SoR was released on Gamegear. Do you think it would be a decent pickup? I know it's looking extremely bland when compared to everything else in that video but out of all of them, it's the only hardware I have access to for now.

Also have you tried SoR Remake? Since the SoR4 release, I keep hearing the name pop up all over SoR4 Steam forums. Apparently its got a lot of new things added to the game.

TrekMD

I haven't played either version myself but some folks here have played the updated one.  It seems to be getting a mixed reaction.  Some people love it and others just see it is as bleh.