Super Rare Atari 2700 Found At California Thrift Store

Started by TrekMD, August 01, 2017, 01:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

This is quite the story...

According to Redditor L064N, he was shopping at a thrift store in Oceanside, California last week when he came across a very strange Atari console. Some quick Googling told him it was a rare prototype for the Atari 2700, an un-produced wireless follow-up to the 2600. He bought it for $30.

And then he sold it on eBay for $3,000.

Planned for release in 1981, the Atari 2700 was a new iteration of the popular early video game console. Compatible with all Atari 2600 games and accessories, the core difference between the 2700 and its predecessor was a pair of wireless controllers that combined a joystick with a paddle.

Read the full story here:  Kotaku

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

That is crazy! I think I should start shopping at thrift stores.

TrekMD

It sure is.  Some people are saying he should donate the money he got from the sale because the store didn't know what they had and it is charity store. 

Shadowrunner

That would be the nice thing to do. You would think they'd do a little research at the thrift store before selling stuff.

TrekMD

Seems the specific charity he got this from doesn't really do that. 

zapiy

Who cares what people say, god sake he had a windfall and that's his luck..

The charity store got $30 and they will be happy.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Evidently the people posting comments in the original article.  As far as I'm concerned, he found this and sold it fair and square.  He doesn't owe anyone anything.

zapiy

I agree mate, to many people think they have a right to make comments like that.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC