Author Topic: Atari 2600 in a Cart  (Read 754 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Atari 2600 in a Cart
« on: July 09, 2017, 19:01:05 PM »

PJ Evans had a ruined game cartridge lying around, just waiting for a project. As Activision’s F-14 Tomcat game for the Atari 2600 console, it seemed ripe for use as a project enclosure of some sort. When he came across a couple of 9-pin D-sub joystick ports, he had an idea. He realized his Rasperry Pi Zero could fit inside the cartridge. Add a power button, TV color selector, difficulty switch, as well as select and reset buttons, and you have an emulator.

PJ’s Pi Zero had more than enough GPIO pins to accommodate all of those buttons and switches plus a bunch more for the joysticks. Why not put the emulator inside a game cartridge? In terms of software PJ looked into Adafruit’s Retro Gaming with Raspberry Pi resource, which has tons of suggestions for setting up game emulators. He decided on the RetroPie operating system to help him map out all of the pins, with Stella doing the actual Atari 2600 emulation.

Source:  Hackaday
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Atari 2600 in a Cart
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 15:19:42 PM »
Very cool!

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 18:31:30 PM »
That is very clever.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Vadergb

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 00:30:17 AM »
I thought it was going to be an Atari system on a chip hack. The RPI zero is a lovely micro pc, I've just used one as a clock for my extension coupled with a pimoroni scroll phat HD module that connects to the Gpio pins.

Stella seemed to run fine whenever I used a Raspberry Pi in the past.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/scroll-bot-pi-zero-w-project-kit

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 19:33:38 PM »
Nice work pal.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal