Atari Box

Started by TrekMD, June 09, 2017, 04:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Rerez posted this video talking about Atari, the old and the current one...

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

Well, I got a notification today asking me to make sure I had my order info and address up to date.  It seems that these are going to be shipping soon for real.

Saturn

Quote from: TrekMD on November 12, 2020, 02:53:09 AM
Well, I got a notification today asking me to make sure I had my order info and address up to date.  It seems that these are going to be shipping soon for real.
Great! After all the delays and bad press, can't wait to hear what you think after spending some time with it.
I'm still in for an Onyx but waiting for 'actual' feedback. That may be tricky as a lot of people will probably be negative intentionally as pay back to Atari for making them wait. :P

TrekMD

Yeah, I'm sure it will get negative reviews just to spite "Atari."  We'll see how it actually performs.

TrekMD

Got this update today:

Happy Thanksgiving Atari VCS Fans!

We are thankful to be on the verge of shipping out the first batches of Atari VCS units and wanted to give you all a brief update.

A small number of the Classic Joysticks we have been waiting for were finally released by customs and delivered to the fulfilment center. While there are no guarantees, we anticipate the balance will be released and arrive very soon so that the sorting and packing may begin. Yes, for the first time, finished VCS units, controllers and joysticks are all in the same place at the same time!

We hope that everyone has had a chance to check out some of the recent Atari VCS game news that Atari and our partners have been putting out. Head over to our Atari VCS blog on Medium to learn about the Atari VCS Vault, Missile Command: Recharged, The Spirit of the Samurai, Neko Ghost, Jump!, and SuperMash. Or visit developer Jani Penttinen’s YouTube channel for a deep dive into Guntech, his upcoming launch title and the Atari VCS hardware itself.

There will be many more game and partner announcements and reveals on the way soon!

Until next time... have a safe and happy holiday weekend!

-- The Atari VCS Team

TrekMD

Some of these area shipping and here is a video that has been posted looking at it. 

Shadowrunner

Cool to see it shipping. Sounds like it still needs a bit of work but I'm sure it will improve over time.

TrekMD

Mine is coming!  I got my tracking info today.  I'll get it Christmas Eve! 

Shadowrunner

Nice! Probably been a long time since you got a brand new Atari console for Christmas. ;)

TrekMD

Quote from: Shadowrunner on December 18, 2020, 02:14:09 AM
Nice! Probably been a long time since you got a brand new Atari console for Christmas. ;)
Oh, a decade or two.  Give or take.  LOL

TrekMD

TrekMD

Here is the unboxing video by John Hancock covering the Atari VCS.  It was just posted today.  Check it out...

onthinice

Does it only come in the Darth Vader color scheme? Hahaha!

TrekMD

Quote from: onthinice on January 08, 2021, 16:20:29 PM
Does it only come in the Darth Vader color scheme? Hahaha!
No, I have the woodgrain one.  The Vader one is the standard version.

I set up mine.  I was reminded this is a modern console when it started with the famous updates, including a BIOS update.  The console is surprisingly hefty.  The thing is completely upgradeable.  You can change the hard drive, add RAM, etc.  Not sure that is something I'll venture doing myself.  Time will tell. 

The console itself looks cool.  I like how the logo lights up.  The controllers are not hefty.  The joystick controller looks quite cool with the LED's but you do have to used to it for navigating menus, etc.  The modern controller is better for navigating.  The joystick works well for playing the retro games, though. 

Right now the online store doesn't have a lot of games, so I would hope that changes.  The Atari Vaults are there and it includes some arcade games that don't really have any home ports (like Black Widow).  The games do play well and it is rather cool being able to play these games on the system.  I know there are some exclusives being worked on by independent developers, so I'm looking forward to see where things go.  Whether the VCS succeeds or not, the system is a bit of video game history.

TrekMD

Just watched this video.  For anyone wondering if the system can be hacked and what sort of emulation can be played with it...