Author Topic: Hello Everyone!  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Dreamcast Gamer

• Global Moderator
  • OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Dremcast Gamer On YouTube
Hello Everyone!
« on: May 16, 2017, 17:30:08 PM »
I'm the Dreamcast Gamer, a 16 year old that's obsessed with retro gaming, particularly anything made by Sega.  I was searching the internet this morning to find a random retro gaming forum and found this awesome place.

Anyway, I'll be back later today.  See ya!

Dreamcast Gamer

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
Re: Hello Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 18:22:28 PM »
Welcome! Hope you enjoy your visits to the site.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 18:53:53 PM »
Hi there, Dreamcast Gamer!  Welcome to RVG.  Glad you found the site and decided to join. We were recently chatting about the state of the retro gaming scene and how most of us are older folks so it is cool to see someone as young as you interested in retro gaming.  What makes retro games appealing for you? 

Welcome again and feel free to check on the forum and even post on old threads.  We don't have any rules against necroposting if the post is an appropriate contribution.   :)
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Dreamcast Gamer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 19:24:07 PM »
Hi there, Dreamcast Gamer!  Welcome to RVG.  Glad you found the site and decided to join. We were recently chatting about the state of the retro gaming scene and how most of us are older folks so it is cool to see someone as young as you interested in retro gaming.  What makes retro games appealing for you? 

Welcome again and feel free to check on the forum and even post on old threads.  We don't have any rules against necroposting if the post is an appropriate contribution.   :)
Thanks TrekMD!  I played the first Atari Flashback when I was 5 at a relative's house, but unfortunately rarely got the chance to play it as they live far away.  Around that time, I was playing a lot of budget PC titles from eGames for Win98-XP.  When I was 6, I played a Nintendo GameCube for the first time at another relative's place which also was far away.  The game I played was Sonic Heroes, which is currently my favorite video game.  I think that these early experiences shaped my gaming interests.  I go back as far as the 2nd generation consoles like the 2600 and rarely go past the 6th generation consoles like the Dreamcast and GameCube.

Of course, this does mean that finding friends with similar interests is challenging.  Isaac from Trainboy Productions loves the Sega Genesis, and a few of my friends like the older Nintendo consoles, but most of the time, they judge a game by its graphics.  That's why forums like this are great because I can talk to people who understand and enjoy games from the past.

Thanks again for the warm welcome :)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 20:02:24 PM »
That is cool.  Glad to see that you were attracted by the gameplay than by the graphics.  As many of us will tell you, graphics do not a good game make.  You can have games with gorgeous visuals but awful gameplay.  It is unfortunately, many younger people only judge based on graphics and miss the change to enjoy game that are easy to learn but hard to master.  :)

Offline Dreamcast Gamer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 20:16:59 PM »
That is cool.  Glad to see that you were attracted by the gameplay than by the graphics.  As many of us will tell you, graphics do not a good game make.  You can have games with gorgeous visuals but awful gameplay.  It is unfortunately, many younger people only judge based on graphics and miss the change to enjoy game that are easy to learn but hard to master.  :)
I've said "Good graphics don't necessarily make a good game" in many of my game reviews.  This can especially be said about a lot of 2600 and NES titles.  I know this sounds crazy, but many times I'm blown away by the graphics in Genesis/Mega Drive games.  I recently bought Vectorman and was in awe of it's stunning visuals.  That's coming from someone who's seen what the PS4 is capable of!  Most importantly, these retro games are incredibly fun, and to me, more fun than any 8th generation game I've played (although I've hardly touched an 8th generation console).

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 21:24:17 PM »
Thanks for joining RVG fella, I hope you have a great stay here, lots to read and lots to get involved in ,  hope to see you about, have a good one.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 21:28:10 PM »
Hello and welcome aboard fella. Thank you for the kind words about our forum which seems to be getting a fair few new members of late. Look forward to reading more of your input around the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 00:25:03 AM »
By the way, where are your game reviews?  Do you do videos or post them?

Offline Dreamcast Gamer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 01:20:00 AM »
By the way, where are your game reviews?  Do you do videos or post them?
They're on my YouTube channel, Dreamcast Gamer.  If it's alright, I'll start a thread for them in the YouTube forum tomorrow.  The Dreamcast Gamer episodes have a story to them that's part fiction, but with real game reviews.  Everything else (except for random stuff like The Search For The Floppy Disk) is real life.

Also, thank you everyone for welcoming me here :)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 01:30:45 AM »
Sure, feel free. We have a section for YouTube videos in the forum. 

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 02:38:47 AM »
Welcome to the site :)

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 08:20:40 AM »
Welcome to the boards. The Dreamcast is a quality machine so nice choice.

Maybe early gen stuff will live on in young people after all....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal