Let's Compare - Operation Thunderbolt

Started by TrekMD, May 16, 2017, 02:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Operation Thunderbolt is a one- or two-player shooter arcade game by Taito made in 1988. It is the sequel to Operation Wolf. Like its predecessor, the game uses mounted positional guns as controllers. It also adds two-player simultaneous play. Versions of the game were released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and various home computers. An arcade exclusive sequel to Operation Thunderbolt was released in 1994, Operation Wolf 3.

Gameplay:

Roy Adams and Hardy Jones, two green berets, must save American hostages from a hijacked airliner which was forced to land in the fictional African province, Kalubya. To accomplish their mission, they must capture six different bases, shoot enemies such as soldiers, jeeps, tanks, and helicopters using their machine gun or grenade launcher, and try to save the hostages along the way. Enemies attack with bullets, grenades, or rockets. Killing the hostages by accident results in the player receiving a bad ending. Once Stage 8 is reached, the players must engage with the lead hijacker holding the pilot hostage. At this point continues are no longer permitted and if the player dies, he obtains a game over screen which is also seen when the player fails to insert coins before the continue timer reaches 0. The player can accidentally kill the pilot, which triggers a bad ending. If he kills the hijacker, the good ending is shown with the credits.

Source:  Wikipedia

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

The arcade version of a game if available always helps to set the playing field so to speak. You may not be able to always play the arcade version but your favorite system will allow you the experience to game at home.

All of these versions were impressive. Makes me miss why consoles started in the first place. To take a little piece of the arcade and bring in into your home.

TrekMD

I had never heard of this one before.  The home translation are pretty good, though. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

I had not either. Although the Super Nintendo version sounds familiar.

zapiy

Loved the Arcade version and only really remember playing the Amiga version at home. Great game though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

onthinice

Do you recall if it was a popular game, Zapiy? Curious if using mounted guns as controllers helped or hindered the arcade version?