A retro state of affairs: Your opinion...

Started by JoeMusashi, May 03, 2017, 20:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeMusashi

So I've been thinking recently about how anything 'retro', particularly video games, has gotten so popular. I guess as generations reach an age where we earn an income we think back to cool stuff we wanted as a kid that we are now in a position to buy.
The problem here is that these cool things are based on a 10 year old's mindset in an era where they're not retro at all but cutting edge tech. I always wanted the latest stuff.
Think of it this way; if your 10 year old self appeared in the present day and was confronted by XBOX ONE, PS4, iPads, smart phones, OLED TVs, 4K, IMAX [etc, the list goes on] what would the reaction be when you decide to show yourself the collection of 'retro' you've been forking out for. I think I'd kick my own arse!

I like the old games I've got. I enjoy farting around with the old systems. But being realistic a lot of the games are shit. Why am I buying over priced shit off greedy eBay sellers that give false value to 'mega rare' games? I dunno?

Are we gearing up for the collapse of the retro bubble? Probably. I think things will take a rapid shift to the opposite extreme and our generation will once again want cutting edge technology. Augmented reality, personal networks, live newspapers, automated cars; its all coming...

TrekMD

I think the simplicity of those older games still have an appeal and even younger players do feel an attraction to them.  I think that partly what is driving prices up as there are always folks willing to pay.  Clearly for those younger folks, it is not about nostalgia.  For us old farts it certainly is.  I know I have gotten consoles that I never had a chance to have before because (1) it is my own money now, (2) I can certainly afford them, and (3) I want to try out stuff I missed on!  Who knows where this will end up.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts. For example, a lot of the NG CD games I have can now be bought digitally on the PS4, X1, and Switch for a fraction of what I paid, and with no load times!

As for the bubble bursting, I don't think we're there yet. Prices just keep going up for the retro stuff and more and more people seem to be getting into it. It's certainly possible though, time will tell I guess.

TrekMD

Yeah, there will be a point where people will not buy if the prices get too high. 

JoeMusashi

Quote from: TrekMD on May 03, 2017, 22:00:15 PMI think that partly what is driving prices up as there are always folks willing to pay

But how much of the stuff on eBay actually sells? Surely people won't be spending ~£15 on a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog.
I love that game and the memory of seeing it in action for the first time is burnt my retinas, but does it hold any real value in today's society. I'm told it does. I can't agree. I think there are a lot of bandwagons being jumped on.
By the way, I'm a big believer that anyone who works hard and earns a living is entitled to (and should) spend their money on things that make them happy so I'm not chastising anyone for buying this stuff.

TrekMD

No, the stuff doesn't alway sell.  I mean, just look at our Are you taking the piss? thread for stuff being sold at ludicrous prices that doesn't sell.

Cryptic33

Yes, a whole can of worms. From my memory, everyone I know was excited when systems like Atari 2600, Colecovision, intelivision etc hit our shores (UK). This was not only the opportunity to play arcade classics at home but to build a library of games and play them with friends. Alternatively, playing alone, we would talk about our achievements and even take pictures of the tv screen, enter competitions, read magazines and so on. The whole scene was buzzing and ironically, this was about family entertainment not "gamers". This was a time when these consoles were seen as another household item, somewhat like a vhs tape recorder.

Naturally, I and many others, look back upon the 80's fondly. Personally, I was never in a position to buy many of these games and so, like Trek mentioned, I am now in a position to acquire some of these expensive systems and try the games that were always out of reach. That said, I had the opportunity about twenty years ago to buy a Jaguar and a few games. At one point I got a second hand copy of AvP and became hooked. I remember thinking finally, Atari have got their act together and will once more take over the world. How wrong was I. Still, I love the system and after all that time, I now have an enviable collection. I have considered other systems but I can't justify the cost nor the space.

Now, you mention the newer systems by Sony and Microsoft and as impressive as they are, I don't feel they have quite the same appeal. I also think the whole philosophy behind modern gaming is too financially motivated. Yes, back in the 80's, everyone wanted to be rich but there was a kind of purpose. Atari certainly had the right idea in the early days with their catch phrase "Power without the price", because if you could make a console and its games affordable then you could reach a wider audience. For about a decade, this was a good idea but by the 90's the whole ethos was changing. The rest is history and the Jag, sadly, is a very good example of too little, too late. Roll over Atari, Sony have arrived.

eBay etc is a medium that has a good principle, allowing individuals to trade with each other. However, if a system can be exploited, it will be. Hence, we are all being ripped off. That said, you can buy many things from, for example, China for next to nothing. There is a whole lot of politics in that statement so I'll leave it there.

So, in conclusion, do I agree with the idea of a 10 year old' perspective? No, because the whole idea of video games back then was new and very exciting. You did not really have the pressure of kids asking for consoles and games like they do today. Back then the kids had to fight there parents to get hold of the joystick because we all wanted a piece of the action. Technology, constantly moving forward? Yes, that has always been the case and trying to keep up is a mug's game. Has the bubble burst? Maybe, take a guess. Either way, the current situation is not sustainable. I am happy with what I have and try not to get too carried away with the hype. Sorry to go on a bit, I hope some of that makes sense.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

JoeMusashi

Some great points in there mate.
I agree that modern gaming is entirely geared towards profit. Prime examples being digital downloads and the in app purchases etc. Its a different mindset but I wouldn't say its any less appealing to kids today (adults have the 'in the old days' reference...).
Its more the engineered value of retro stuff that I wonder about. It wasn't that long ago we would frequently get family/friends saying "Cleared the attic out mate, found this old Mega Drive and games. Was going to bin it but know you like this stuff. You want it?". Now the contents of that bin bag are worth ~£100 because of clouded nostalgic memories.

Don't even get me started on people inflating the value of broken stuff...

RetroPlays

Talking to a fella the other day who hit the nail on the head when it comes to people selling for high prices, they read an article that says such and such a game for the nes is worth £100 on eBay and automatically they think Mario bros must be worth that and want to sell it at that price.

I'm collecting for myself, would my 10 year old self approve 100% but if he seen all the new stuff out there I'm sure that would be a different answer lol. While some games are crap (and that translate to today as well as there's still plenty of new games like that) there are some hidden gems in there too. Personally I don't pay eBay prices or at least try not to but there's 1 game I'm considering doing it with (it's my fave snes game of all time which divides opinion) zombies (or for the American version zombies ate my neighbours).

I prefer throwing on super Mario world for an hour than doing the same with a PS4 title but that's all personal preference.

The scalpers make it harder for genuine collectors to 'relive' their childhood with their favourite consoles and games at an affordable price. A great example of the 'elitists' pushing up prices was showcased when a guy last year showed and sold his boxes of nes games (including stadium events) to genuine collectors despite being offered crazy amounts for them by the elitists. This in turn will burst the retro bubble unless something changes.

Also retro games are a great way for kids to get into gaming as well, I know mine will be starting off with the classics :).

JoeMusashi

Quote from: RetroPlays on May 04, 2017, 12:24:06 PMAlso retro games are a great way for kids to get into gaming as well, I know mine will be starting off with the classics :).

Would they choose to do that without your influence though? Given the choice, would they really choose Manic Miner over Minecraft? Chase HQ over Grand Theft Auto V? Maybe but I would generally say not.

On another point, the scene that's exploded from all this must be reaching saturation point. How many more Youtube channels will appear that go over the same things again and again and again...., all the hacks, all the homebrew, all the kickstarter books/films/hardware. In fact, relating to an earlier point about massive profits in modern gaming, retro lovers are being fleeced on Kickstarter too. In one example you can add a poster to your pledge for an extra £15. Really? £15 for a poster? Thats 5 pints of Flat Cap right there.

Shadowrunner

Good points, and I definitely agree about youtube. They recently changed their policies over ad revenue and a lot of people are complaining that they aren't making much money anymore. Maybe that will chase some of them off.

RetroPlays

Oh I've no doubt they would only play due to my influence lmfao I did see a video last night of a guy showing his 4 year old a megadrive/genesis for the first time though and he loved it

zapiy

Fantastic thread, I have to agree with the state for the retro scene, of course from a website point of view all the kickstarter and Homebrew stuff its a great driver for traffic and ultimately its a great way to stimulate interest in the scene, what I would say is there is a lot of people out there buying stuff at car boot sales and flea markets to then sell on at maximum profit, also lots of people buying job lots and splitting them to again sell on. All that achieves is higher prices for you a me, do I think the bubble will burst? Yes I do in short.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Cryptic33

Quote from: zapiy on May 07, 2017, 00:45:11 AM
Fantastic thread, I have to agree with the state for the retro scene, of course from a website point of view all the kickstarter and Homebrew stuff its a great driver for traffic and ultimately its a great way to stimulate interest in the scene, what I would say is there is a lot of people out there buying stuff at car boot sales and flea markets to then sell on at maximum profit, also lots of people buying job lots and splitting them to again sell on. All that achieves is higher prices for you a me, do I think the bubble will burst? Yes I do in short.
Funny you should say that. When I set myself up as "Blitterchips" donkey years ago, I made money out of buying up boxes of 2600 titles and consoles, splitting them up and reselling. However, I like to think I had more morals back then than those who inflate prices these days. I actually set myself up as a bit of an authority on the 2600 with hands-on experience of every game I sold. I did dabble in other systems like the Megadrive but quickly gave up on those as the competition was everywhere but no one was supporting Atari. I wonder why lol Still, it was fun for a couple of years.

I guess the point I was going to make was that the era of the 2600 had all but gone, yet I found a niece in the market. As I said, I only did it for a few years, maybe three in total and then the very name "Atari" and the 2600 all but faded away. So, the bubble had burst and for something like 10 - 20 years there was a retro market for current and not so old systems. However, today, thanks to eBay and social media, the 2600 is seeing something of a resurgence. Does this mean that the retro money making machine does grind to a stop only to re-emerge at a later date? Whatever the answer, there will always be unscrupulous companies and individuals very willing to prey on the interests of others. A sad state of affairs in all.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

zapiy

I think there is a space for commerce in the retro scene, it's like we have all said, some just see it as a cash cow sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC