COMPETITION! Win a new copy of the Jaguar Gamers Guide!

Started by Cryptic33, April 09, 2017, 16:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cryptic33

*** COMPETITION *** Win the Official Atari Jaguar Gamers Guide *** COMPETITION ***

Competition questions and rules: all questions must be answered except for optional ones, some are obviously easier than others, some are subjective with no right or wrong answer.
This is an official competition and winners will be notified in this topic and a postal address requested via pm.
This competition is completely free and winners will not incur any costs for postage or handling.
The purpose of this competition is to keep the dream alive for genuine Jaguar fans.
This competition is exclusive to RVG and its members.

1. True or False: At the time of launch, the Jaguar was the most powerful cartridge based system in the world!
2. Name a fighting game other than Kasumi Ninja
3. Name a driving game other than Chequered Flag
4. Optional question: What is the ironic connection between the Jaguar, the PS4 and X-Box ONE? (Question edited for clarity)
5. In full or by abbreviation, what is the name of the best multi-platform forum on the net?
6. In less than 1993 words, why have you entered this competition (this could be a competition clincher) - hint: keep it short
7. 2 in 1: In what country was the Jaguar designed, in what country was the Jaguar built?
8. The Jaguar has three chips, a Motorola 68000 and two others, name them.
9. Which Jaguar game title is your favourite and why?
10. How many buttons are there on a standard controller?
11. Name one of the games for the system which does not have music during gameplay (the clever gits can give a less obvious answer)
12. Optional question: How many feet does a Jaguar have?
13. (Just for fun) What, if any, is the significance of April 18th - Note: not Jaguar related and board Admins and Moderators are not allowed to answer but may give hints 😉I
14. Because I am a little superstitious, here is the final question; which Jaguar game title was designed around the VR peripheral?

Final note and NOT the answer to question 13, the winners will be announced on the 18th April 2017 subject to me being available and not drunk 😉
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Saturn

Here are my answers to the best of my (in)ability 8)

[spoiler]1. True
2. Double Dragon 5
3. Atari Karts, Club Drive
4. They both rock lol
5. RVG
6. Free stuff
7. UK & USA (I have links open in my browser to the info :p )
8. Tom & Jerry
9. DOOM bc it is awesome and I'm hacking custom maps into it for unlimited replayability!
10. 17
11. DOOM
12. 4? lol
13. No idea but I guess I'm safe and can play it off like I wasn't allowed to answer :p
14. Missile Command 3D[/spoiler]

Show me the money!!!

Cryptic33

Hmm, please note some questions have more than one right answer. Therefore, copying someone else's answers may be a bad move.
Additionally, I will allow a little leeway if I feel a real effort has been made. I accept some of you will struggle with some seemingly difficult questions. I haven't said you can't ask a question for example 😉 but, whether I answer or how I answer may, or may not, be helpful. Don't think too hard about this, just have a go. There will be more than one winner!!!
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

zapiy

[spoiler]1. In was certainly touted as the most powerful system at the time and my brain is telling me to say yes. so True.
2. Fight for Life
3. Power Drive Rally
4. They are all 64bit??
5. Biased to RVG but prolly Atari Age.
6. Couple of reasons, firstly to support you, secondly I like to take part for a bit fun and I am a huge Jaguar fan anyway..
7. I would say the USA to both.
8. Tom & Jerry Chips.
9. Aliens V Predator, hours of fun games nights with my mates and we still talk about those days now when we often meet and AVP on the Jag often comes up..
10. 17
11. AVP
12. 5
13. cant answer
14. Missile Command 3D[/spoiler]

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

JoeMusashi

[spoiler]
Quote from: Cryptic33 on April 09, 2017, 16:44:44 PM
*** COMPETITION *** Win the Official Atari Jaguar Gamers Guide *** COMPETITION ***

Competition questions and rules: all questions must be answered except for optional ones, some are obviously easier than others, some are subjective with no right or wrong answer.
This is an official competition and winners will be notified in this topic and a postal address requested via pm.
This competition is completely free and winners will not incur any costs for postage or handling.
The purpose of this competition is to keep the dream alive for genuine Jaguar fans.
This competition is exclusive to RVG and its members.

My answers in RED. All from my own memory, no internet searches!

1. True or False: At the time of launch, the Jaguar was the most powerful cartridge based system in the world!
Hmm, not sure. Was it more powerful than the NEO GEO...?
Fight for Life. Is Ultra Vortek another one?
Power Drive Rally. I'm also thinking Super Burn Out
4. Optional question: What is the ironic connection between the Jaguar, the PS4 and X-Box ONE? (Question edited for clarity)
Do they all have a 64bit data bus? lol.
5. In full or by abbreviation, what is the name of the best multi-platform forum on the net?
I imagine this could be RVG!
6. In less than 1993 words, why have you entered this competition (this could be a competition clincher) - hint: keep it short
I do fancy a copy of that Gamers Guide but its also fun to search the old memory banks and dig out some dusty cerebral info. No Googling!
7. 2 in 1: In what country was the Jaguar designed, in what country was the Jaguar built?
I'm guessing it was designed in the US and made in Taiwan
Tom and Jerry!
Alien Vs Predator.  I was 13 when I had my Jag and my older cousin was off work with shingles. He came round and asked if he could borrow the Jag whilst he was off on the proviso he bought me a game. I gladly agreed (knowing how much the games were). A few days later he took me to a games shop and nearly passed out when I picked up AvP for £55! I knew exactly what I wanted lol. He stumped up the cash though so fair play to him. I still have it.
18 I reckon unless the d-pad is classed as 4 so 21 in that case.
11. Name one of the games for the system which does not have music during gameplay (the clever gits can give a less obvious answer)
Doom and Cybermorph
They have long tails so I'd say around 7 feet...
13. (Just for fun) What, if any, is the significance of April 18th - Note: not Jaguar related and board Admins and Moderators are not allowed to answer but may give hints 😉I
Is it some sort of anniversary? Not sure.
14. Because I am a little superstitious, here is the final question; which Jaguar game title was designed around the VR peripheral?
I'm going to say Missile Command.

Final note and NOT the answer to question 13, the winners will be announced on the 18th April 2017 subject to me being available and not drunk 😉
[/spoiler]

TrekMD

OK, here are my answers:

[spoiler]
True
Ultra Vortek
World Tour Racing
4. Optional question: What is the ironic connection between the Jaguar and the PS3?
Both use custom chips that make them hard to program for.
Trick question, no?  Only one answer: RVG
Because this is about Atari’s great black cat.  Do I need another reason? ;)
Designed in the UK and built in the USA (at least the one I own says that on the box!)
Tom & Jerry.
Raiden.  It is a great arcade port and vertical shooters are games that I enjoy a lot. This one not only looks great, it sounds great as well.
Three action buttons (C-B-A), one Option button, one Pause button, twelve keypad buttons for a total of 17.
11. Name one of the games for the system which does not have music during gameplay.
Alien vs Predator
Last I checked, four.
13. (Just for fun) What, if any, is the significance of April 18th - Note: not Jaguar related and board Admins and Moderators are not allowed to answer but may give hints ??
I can’t answer this one (not allowed). ;)
Missile Command 3D
[/spoiler]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Cryptic33

Well, I must say that I am very impressed with some of those answers. Equally so that you all try to answer from memory. This competition is going well but I suspect you will all groan a little when all of the real answers are revealed.

Thanks guys 👹

TrekMD

Quote from: Cryptic33 on April 13, 2017, 22:14:42 PM
...I suspect you will all groan a little when all of the real answers are revealed.

Oh boy.  LOL

Cryptic33

Oh yes, I am dying to tell all, but I too must wait for that elusive date ha ha

Any more contestants, only a few days left?

TrekMD

Well, I'm quite curious about some of the answers.  Just a few more days.

Cryptic33

Quote from: TrekMD on April 15, 2017, 22:41:58 PM
Well, I'm quite curious about some of the answers.  Just a few more days.
Just checked your answers again, very good, but you will kick yourself when the full list is revealed 🤣

TrekMD

I'll be sure to wear some padding so it doesn't hurt that much.  LOL

Cryptic33

Last chance folks! In say 12 hours from now the competition will end and Trek can test his padding 😉

Cryptic33

True or False: At the time of launch, the Jaguar was the most powerful cartridge based system in the world!
True

Name a fighting game other than Kasumi Ninja
There are several eg Fight for Life, Ultra Vortek, Dragon, Primal Rage

Name a driving game other than Chequered Flag
Again, there are several examples such as Power Drive Rally, Club Drive and World Tour Racing

Optional question: What is the ironic connection between the Jaguar and the PS4 and X-Box 1
Both consoles use AMD's "Jaguar" chipset

In full or by abbreviation, what is the name of the best multi-platform forum on the net?
Obviously, Retro Video Gamer

In less than 1993 words, why have you entered this competition (this could be a competition clincher) - hint: keep it short
Self explanatory

2 in 1: In what country was the Jaguar designed, in what country was the Jaguar built?
England & USA respectively

The Jaguar has three chips, a Motorola 68000 and two others, name them.
Tom & Jerry

Which Jaguar game title is your favourite and why?
Personal choice

How many buttons are there on a standard controller?

Name one of the games for the system which does not have music during gameplay.
Doom is the obvious choice but, from my memory, Cybermorph and A v P are two others

Optional question: How many feet does a Jaguar have?
Especially for Trek - Zero, Jaguars, like all panthers have paws 😉

(Just for fun) What, if any, is the significance of April 18th - Note: not Jaguar related and board Admins and Moderators are not allowed to answer but may give hints 😉
Any answer is valid but the one you all missed is that today is my birthday!

Because I am a little superstitious, here is the final question; which Jaguar game title was designed around the VR peripheral?
Yep, Missile Command 3D

For their efforts, all contestants have been declared Winners!

Congratulations, you will all receive a pm over the next couple of days (or you can pm me directly) requesting a postal address

TrekMD

I paw-sed for a second and then started laughing.  :) 

This was good, Cryptic.  Thanks!